1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CES2008 - Official xStreamHD information

Discussion in 'XStreamHD (Closed Forum)' started by Earl Bonovich, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I got the okay from the people at XstreamHD to post their documents provided at CES.

So attached are the 4 documents...

Earl

2. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
  3. shadyB

shadyB Cool Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Another dish on the roof? No thanks. Unless this somehow integrates with a Dish or DirecTV satellite dish (I doubt it), this will cause problems. Most people do not want multiple dishes on their roof or property for aesthetic purposes. Also many HOA's only allow one dish per property, which will make this hard to sell. Those with cable will likely stick with their current video and HD on demand plus PPV selection they get through cable.

80 Mbps movies and downloads sound great, but a model like that can only grow so much before they run out of bandwidth. This service will sound appealing to the video-philes, early adopters, and the 1% bleeding edge technology buffs. However, to "Joe Consumer" the idea of a $400 box, a service contract, monthly fees, and PPV fees to do something he already has will be a tough sell. This is something that HD DVD and Blu-ray are already suffering to accomplish despite studio and large manufacturer backing.

I could be wrong, JMHO.

4. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    Thanks Earl! As always your awesome :)

5. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I think this more targeted at Netfilix. Its getting to the point where it takes weeks to get a movie on Blu-Ray from Netflix. I sure I am not the only one getting tried of the wait...if XstreamHD month price is inline with Netflix even with the upfront cost it could be a big hit. It will just take the right marketing.

6. bigshew

bigshew Legend

Feb 26, 2007
  7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Unless Mike Musgrove, got a private interview later on...

AT the press conference, when the question was specifically asked on the pricing and the pricing model...

They specifically stated it had not been determined yet, and they said it would be a hybrid between monthly sub/ppv models... but no specifics on $$ were given.

8. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Hmmm, $400 upfront (at that's supposedly a break for early adopters) plus $13/mo all for the privilege of paying the same amount for each movie that I would pay to DirecTv, Netflix, or Blockbuster now? I just don;t see how this couldbe a HIT. I'll definitly be keeping an eye on it though - who knows.

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I just got an email reply from one of the people at XStreamHD...

The price point is definenty not set, and could be affected by several factors to come.

The $13 was from an older interview with the company.

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    $300+ for an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player... (and the quesiton of which format to pick)
    $30 to own the Disks themselves
    $8 to rent them from a local BlockBuster/Rental Store (and deal with late fees and non-availability)

Min of $10 (or more) for a monthly subscriptions to a mail service, which as people have noted... are not the most responsive for the HighDefintion formats as they are for the standard definitions....

The price point seems pretty darn close to what they are targetting as the alternatives.. (aka NetFlix, Blockbuster, Local rental chains)... and mix in the fact that it will have 3 ATSC tuners for local channels...

For some... this is all they will want/need for the HD viewing needs....

11. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    My local Blockbuster rents both formats for less than $5.00, plus I'm a member of blockbuster.com so I get them mailed to me and get free swaps with in-store return so the Blu-ray/HD-DVD works for me.

I personally own 3 sets of each player (2 Panasonic DMP-BD30s Blu-rays, 2 Toshiba HD-A35s HD-DVD, a PS3, and a XBOX 360 w/ HD-DVD) since I like having the actual physical media in hand but I will be keeping an eye on download services also.

I like the idea of a set-top box handling my HD downloads rather than media pcs, but that's my humble opinion.

12. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    What we don't know is would this include some movie download like 2 or 3 then more then that cost X? Or would there be a discount on the price for each movie depending on your monthly fee. I figure I pay about $3.00 for each movie I get from Netflix. So until we hear more from the company I wouldn't write off this idea so fast...

13. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    No additional upfront cost - HD PPV on DirecTv - $4.99

Not trying to poo poo XtremeHD, I just don't immediately seeing it being a slam dunk especially since we have seen somewhat similiar models come and go.

Without a monthly fee and PPV type rates where we can keep the show indefinitely would seem to be right (at least to me). But then you need to consider the cost of extra receivers as well as having yet another dish, plus installation, and do I want yet another device. And of course there is studio support

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Let's assume they're going to figure out a competitive cost. What we have here is interesting.

Three "Off-Air HD tuners." Recording capability.
    Rapid downloading of DVD content in HD - including TV show box sets.

In other words, you could watch all the last season's shows you might be interested in without commercials, plus OTA HD tv.

If I had OTA tv signals, I might consider this approach as a viable option. Most everything I watch comes out on DVD within a few months after the season ends.

But they'd have to be well capitalized for the long haul. And they are essentially going to have to give away their boxes, dishes, etc. for an 18-month contract.

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Hmmmm, very interesting. Putting up another dish doesn't bother me at all. Going with this system I might be able to drop my Premier package down to just Choice Plus and still come out ahead in terms of $$$ per month.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this for sure.

16. An-Echo-Star

An-Echo-Star Mentor

Jan 7, 2007

Great info Earl, thanks a lot.

This thing is a dead duck unless D* or E* snatch it up. Who wants to put a dish on their house just to download 1080P movies? That's an incredibly niche market, maybe .01% or less. Sounds cool and I'm sure it performs great but an uphill battle it will have.

:goodjob: I'm going to grab a much neaded beer! Cheers!

17. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I would :grin: In a heart beat

18. rgreenpc

rgreenpc AllStar

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah, but Spoon you are the example given for a niche in the dictionary.

19. ned23

ned23 AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    It would be really interesting if you could attach a HDPC-20 to this!!

20. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I know. But I have family members that are not and I could see them wanting this too and not caring about another dish. I really think this is the only way download services will work for the near future. There just isn't enough bandwidth for HD Movies with good sound. I know this will change in the future, but this could be here this year. It will really come down to price and content. Also, Netflix was very much a niche when it started and look where it is now.