1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Change a Hopper's name?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by djlong, Jul 21, 2012.

1. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    MY installation went really well but there was one glitch. The installer named both of my Hoppers "Family Room" so now the Joey's can't easily tell one recover from the other - and which will get what timers (I certainly don't need PTAT on both)

Can I get one or both of the hoppers renamed?

Thanks in advance

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes.

3. Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    Yes... and here's how!
    Menu>Settings>Network Setup>Whole-Home>Change Location Name

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I downloaded Hopper manual, couldn't find that.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Posted manual does not reflect latest changes, especially if we see new version each few days.
    I would play with all menus, to be familiar where certain parameters located.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I figured as much, I just don't have access to a Hopper for a couple of days.

7. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    This is your answer. Also YELLOW - BLUE - 4 - Change Location Name works.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Changing the name has not changed since the beginning.

The manuals are a good starting point - and polite answers are available on the forum from people who enjoy helping others out. :)

9. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    That did the trick.

I may be able to soon return SOME of the equipment I had installed. I think I was under some misconceptions on how a Joey sees two Hoppers and how one Hopper sees the other (I have a 2H/3J setup).

I'm starting to get into the works here and just waiting for updates. The installer said he was told that I wouldn't need the HIC but I already saw the message on one Joey that the Hopper DOES need it for me to use the Home Media functions on the Joey.

As with any major upgrade, there's going to be a period of time for "dust settling".