1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Dish Locals While Traveling?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nihilist78, Sep 26, 2009.

1. nihilist78

nihilist78 New Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I searched around for these answers, and didn't find what I was looking for, so please direct me to the thread if there are concise answers out there.

My father has just gotten an in-motion VuQube to install on his big rig, and is using a Dish 311 for service. His use of this receiver likely breaks a ToS agreement I won't divulge here, so I can't quite call Dish and ask my questions.

I have two questions regarding locals. I find spotty info that locals are only available for a certain distance from that Zip. My dad will be driving from NC (27803) to Florida/Alabama mostly, so I take it the NC locals won't "travel" the whole time with him? If so, can you switch locals on the box, and if so, how easily? If it's required to change locals for all boxes on the account, then the point is moot.

First post, so be kind. Thanks for any and all help!

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    :welcome_s
    You can not switch locals on the box.
    The point is moot.

3. nihilist78

nihilist78 New Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply.

So if the locals can't be changed, can they still be accessed several hundred miles away? If not, is there anyway to see a national feed of CBS, NBC, etc?

I'm a cable man (yes, I know), so don't know what limitations and workarounds Dish has.

4. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    They use spotbeams for most locals. If you happen to be lucky yours are not on spotbeam and you can see them pretty much nationally. Otherwise you have to be in the spot beam. They can cover a fairly large area often 100's mile across. But if you are near the edge and move out you will not be able to receive them. See some of the charts to see what area is covered by which spotbeams. e.g. http://www.dishuser.org/satmaps.php

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Also, DishNetwork is banned from offering Distant Locals *at all*. With the proper waivers, you may be able to get them on your Dish equipment via AllAmericanDirect, via this website: https://www.mydistantnetworks.com.

6. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I would call AAD (mydistantnetworks.com) an ask for an RV/Truck waiver. I think its aroun 15 buqs for all 4 networks from both SanFran and NYC. Sorry no N.C.

One more thing to note, the dish on the truck, is it just a single LNB? Thereby only able to see 1 satelite at a time? If so, you likely wouldnt be able to view locals anyway since locals are on 110 primarily. Core programming resides on 119 as do the AAD channels. There are still some basic channels that are only on 110 so by having a dish aimed at just 119 you wouldnt get ALL the channels anyway. Just most of them.

7. nihilist78

nihilist78 New Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Thanks everyone for all the help, I'll look into all of it deeper once it gets installed and road-tested this week. We probably won't try too bad to get around it, just more curious of will it work as expected.

It is a single LNB, but it can tune in both 110 and 119, by switching back and forth. Testing with it sitting in the driveway, it switches pretty quickly, and at most has a 2-3 second delay in moving between satellites. During start-up and scanning for satellite lock-on it can take several minutes, but after that it's pretty snappy. IIRC according to the manual, it can move between 3 Dish satellites, to pick up HD also. It can also do similar for Directv.

This is my first experience with either E* or D*, so to me this VuQube is pretty cool. Not sure if it's low on the totem pole around here, but if interested, you can check them out at kingcontorlsDOTcom (can't post links yet).

8. jmccurrytech

jmccurrytech Guest

Charlotte and Raleigh are both ConUS on 118

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Perhaps, but the OP's dish cannot receive 118.7, which is not a DBS satellite but an FSS sat (and the only one in US space that uses circular LNBs; most FSS sats are linear).

10. ljr01

ljr01 AllStar

Mar 6, 2008
    I was once told by a CSR that I could call in whenever my RV and I moved and get locals for that area if available. I have been afraid to try it and risk getting my account all tangled up as always seems to happen when the CSRs tell me something is easy.

11. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    As long as you do not have other boxes back at the house that will be activated at the same time as this one you should be able to call dish network each time you stop and change your service address and get the locals for that area. You might mention to them to flag the account as an RV account so that you will have less problems with the audit department but, you are allowed to move locations as much as you would like as long as you are only receiveing service in one location at a time.

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    118 is still used for residential programming? Even if those locals are on 118, the VuQube would never be able to tune to that satellite! Being an "FSS" satellite you would need a different type of LNB and a larger dish too.

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish Network is legally prohibited from offering Distant Locals for ANYONE, including RVs. You cannot call Dish and have them do anything.

Distant locals for a Dish system must be handled through All American Direct.

14. ljr01

ljr01 AllStar

Mar 6, 2008
    I wasn't talking about distants. Perhaps others were.

15. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If you are physically out of the local market in your RV/truck etc. then that is considered a distant.

Now, if you do what the title of this thread suggests: "Change dish locals while traveling" that is legal, but a hassle. You would have to call in every time you go "over the line" into a different DMA. It's done for people who are "snowbirds". But the "remote" location is fixed, not moving.

As has already been said here, there is such a thing ans an RV exemption, but you wold be getting your broadcast networks from All America Direct using Dish equipment.

16. ljr01

ljr01 AllStar

Mar 6, 2008
    Exactly what I was talking about. I thought that was the thread topic. Sorry if I misunderstood.

17. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Sometime a short & sweet answer is not that clear.

You can switch locals on a box - if you call into E* with a new address. This happens all the time if you move or go on an extended vacation.

OTOH if you meant to literally switch locals on the box as in hitting a button on the remote then you would be correct.