1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Change IP Address

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Jul 24, 2007.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Is there anyway to automatically change my IP address every few minutes?

2. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Why would you want to do that? Trying to hide from someone :)

The only way would be through some kind of script or through DCHP with a really, really short lease and I don't even know if you can do that short for a DHCP Lease. This would also cause a lot of network traffic as well.

What I forgot to mention is if this is an IP Address that is assigned to you by someone else like your ISP then no there isn't a way to do this. The reason being is that they set up a DHCP Lease that is associated to the unique MAC Address of your device that is connected to them like a router, firewall or god forbid directly to a computer. They are the ones to set this and you have no control over it. Even if you do a release of the IP and a Renew it won't make a difference as you are still sending out the same MAC Address.

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    If you're on dial up, sign on, disconnect and sign on again, otherwise see Funhouse's post.

4. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It's high speed cable, connected through a router. I didn't think I could do it. I have managed to do it by unplugging the modem and the router, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging them back in. That's a hassle though. What about a proxy server?

5. kaz

kaz Legend

Sep 17, 2006
    I assume this is for web access... theres a firefox addon that will change proxies every X seconds as you configure it. It even comes with a list of proxy servers with it.

6. Jul 3, 2013 #6 of 16
    poganinja

poganinja Guest

Hi if you are having dynamic ip address then it will change every time once you login to internet ...You can also change your ip address by resetting your modem ..After changing your ip address visit sites like Ip-Details.com to know your present network ip address.

7. Jul 3, 2013 #7 of 16
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Cycling the modem doesn't always work and it can take a few minutes to come back on-line, so those sugegstions are not going to address the issue.

There are anonymizer services that do things like this, but there are usually monthly fees involved.

8. Jul 3, 2013 #8 of 16
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Some routers allow you to easily change the MAC address. Once that's done, the cable modem must be powered off and then back on.
    When it comes back on you will get a new IP from the provider.

I used to have a Linksys that would do this. It was under "Clone MAC Address".

I'm not aware of any way to automate the process.

Nice thread resurrection.

9. Jul 3, 2013 #9 of 16
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Use Tor, no one will find your IP that way.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But guarantees that the NSA will store the data.

Didn't notice this was revived from 6 years ago...

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Neither did I, but it's still a relevant question. Maybe even more so today.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Perhaps using the TOR ?

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Channeling Johnny Five ... "need more input"

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
  15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    An appropriate response would be personal experiences with the service and/or personal recommendations for or against.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Well 2 people in this thread have recommended it. I don't know of anyone who has used it that didn't get good use out of it.