1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changes to local channels tomorrow in many areas

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Satelliteracer, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Just a heads up that there will be some changes to some local channels tomorrow due to stations declining Must Carry or opting in for Must Carry.

This means a handful of stations will be removed on January 1, 2009. It also means a handful of stations have elected Must Carry and will be added to various markets.

In almost all cases, these are independent stations with the exception of one PBS channel in Charleston, WV.

DMAs Adding stations tomorrow

Lexington, KY (WLJC)
    Miami, FL (WBEC)
    Louisville, KY (WBNA)
    Philadelphia, PA (WMCN)

DMAs Losing a station tomorrow

Tampa, FL (WCLF) (use channel 376 for CTN national feed instead)
    West Palm Beach, FL (WFGC) (use channel 376 for CTN national feed instead)
    San Francisco, CA (KMTP)
    Norfolk, VA (WSKY)
    Albuquerque, NM (KRPV)
    Mobile, AL (WPAN)
    Fairbanks, AK (KJNP)
    Dallas, TX (KLDT)
    El Paso, TX (KSCE)
    Charleston, WV (WKAS)
    Harrisburg, PA (WGCB)
    Odessa, TX (KMLM)

2. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    As always - thank you!

3. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    Thanks much for the info Satelliteracer. :)

4. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Thanks Satelliteracer!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Larry

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Miami, FL (WBEC) is really an FM station in Pittsfeild, Mass. A new station maybe? I beleive we have all the networks curently in Mia/Ft Laud.

Thanks for all the info Mr Racer

Happy New Year!

6. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Thanks for the info!

7. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    Hey Satracer could we see some more must carry channels being added also in the near future?such as ones in Chicago illinois including WMEU Channel 48 and Thistv?Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Allen Culver
    Streator,Illinois

8. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Yes, the 4 markets I mentioned at the top will be added. Remember, a station has to select Must Carry in order to be carried in that fashion. It's not always what a station wants to do. On the specific station you mention, I don't know what their plans are.

9. snipes007

snipes007 Mentor

Jan 28, 2007

Actually, WBEC is an educational channel owned by the Public School System. Very exciting programming.

10. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I see that and I am embarrassed as my wife works for Broward County Schools:) Strangely the call letters are also a New England radio station.

11. gwar28

gwar28 AllStar

Mar 10, 2007
    Salt Lake City is apparently losing KJZZ which carries all of the Jazz games. Bad news for Jazz fans.

12. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    Not all of the Jazz games, only 12 between now and end of the regular season. But I believe the playoffs (at least the first 2 rounds last year) were on KJZZ. This sucks none-the-less. Hopefully D* and Larry Miller get an agreement soon.

13. gwar28

gwar28 AllStar

Mar 10, 2007
    Crystal, You are right. I was just being lazy......

12 out of ~49 games isn't terrible.

------ SMS Text ------
    Sent: Dec 31, 2008 3:20 PM
    Subject: After Dec.

After Dec. 31, DirecTV will not carry KJZZ TV ch. 14, which includes 12 remaining regular season Jazz games. Call 1-800-531-5000 with questions. Txt END 2 quit
    Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

All of the playoff games were on Kjzz so Bolerjack could earn some cash.

Wonder if calling would help. I would have thought they would have given us a better warning then 3:20 PM on new years eve.

Greg Miller is in charge now.......

14. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    This station is not even located in our DMA. So now we are down to 2 PBS stations.

15. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    o ok, well its good to know its multiple stations and not just WSKY4:confused::confused::(

16. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    That's the Ashland, KY PBS station. It means those of us with DirecTV in eastern Kentucky will no longer get our statewide public network.

17. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    KET is the statewide PBS/KET affiliate for Ashland, and it also stood in for WKPI in Pikeville, both of which ARE located in the Huntington-Charleston DMA, and WKMR in Morehead which serves part of it from the next county over. The Huntington-Charleston DMA which includes 9 Kentucky counties that account for well over 30% of the DMA's population.

Because so much of Kentucky gets it TV from out of state (Huntington, Cincinnati, Evansville, Jackson, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and even Bristol, KET is often the only Kentucky station that many people in Kentucky get. While PBS is no loss, I would be happy if the whole PBS network went away and the money was returned to the taxpayers, KET tries hard to help. It has shown Kentucky smaller college basketball and football and UK and UL women's and minor men's sports, and used to carry Louisville NBC news for people who got no Kentucky news.

This makes little sense, since KET has to be uplinked anyway. I also do not understand the law here. It used to be that must-carry applied to PBS unless there were two stations in the same state. In this market, we have WKAS in Kentucky and WPBY in WV, and they get to choose between Ohio U's PBS in Athens (which DirecTV has) or the full power repeater of Ohio State's WOSU in Portsmouth (which DISH has).

But it is typical of how DirecTV treats this market. They were two years late getting locals up and hit the ground without the UPN/WB station which took 2 more years to get on, and they have made no effort to get HD up, in a market 20 places higher than markets that do. All this in the second largest geographic market east of the Mississippi, where many people get NO TV without a dish and either have NO access to cable or cable bandits that are outright criminals. The most natural DBS market in the country.

Bad move.

18. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    I'm curious why these stations are being dropped? Did they simply not file must carry with DirecTV in a timely matter as the case with WSKY? Channel 4 was dropped at 6:02 this morning... :(

19. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    got this infomaton from directv this morning and it seems to me the same old thing that they say everytime i email or give them a phone call

Thank you for writing. I'd be happy to assist you today.

At this time we have no information of additional local channels being added to your local channel line up for the Chicago, IL, market. For a full line up of what channels are available, please visit us at directv.com/locals. After entering your ZIP code and selecting your county, you'll be able to view all local channels currently offered by DIRECTV.

While we currently have no plans of adding additional locals channels, I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management. Whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our web site at directv.com/pr.

I apologize for any frustration this may has caused and for any misinformation you may have received. I appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Yvonne S ID 400467
    DIRECTV Customer Service

Make the most of DIRECTV by registering your account on directv.com. You'll learn about exclusive online promotions, new features of DIRECTV and the latest programs and packages. Visit www.directv.com/register today.

Customer (Allen Culver) - 12/30/2008 07:10 PM
    good evening how are you doing today?I was talking to a csr this morning about the DTV Transition and he told me over the phone that directv will be adding Chicago local new channels in time for the switch of analog to digitial.when could we find out which channels will be added to our lineup?

Thank you very much.

Allen Culver
    Streator,Illinois

[---001:001688:31966---]

20. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    With an antenna you don't have to worry about losing channels due to contract disputes...........