1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Club Dish Certificate

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jbassoc, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbassoc

jbassoc New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    My son handed me a Club Dish gift certificate downloaded and printed on Sunday Aug 19,2007. It listed:
    Free activation
    $100 back with Americas top 120 or higher
    Starz Movie pack free for first 3 months.
    System must be installed and activated before 01/31/2008
    No mention of an 18 month commitment.

When I called dish to sign up I was told that the certificate is no longer valid as written. Now this particular certificate is:
    free activation
    $49 credit on first bill
    DishHD free for 6.months
    18 month commitment is required to get the credit and free HD for 6 months.

Since this certificate printed with the new expiration date I assumed it should be valid. Can they just change the certificated??

Yesterday I viewed dish programing at a local dealer on a brand new Samsung narrow profile DLP 56 inch set. I am cautious of any 18 month commitment. The SD was almost unwatchable. The HD looked great until someone moved then the edge artifacts blurred the image and the picture became totally unacceptable. I had a much better, clearer and enjoyable picture watching a rented DVD on my old 35 inch Toshiba crt TV. I was planning to buy a new flat screen TV this November but I'm beginning to think HD is only watchable on a digital TV using over the air programing and is literally a 'joke' from cable and satellite sources. Unfortunately I live to far from the city to receive clean OTA signals. Does any provider have a better picture?

2. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    DISH hardly ever changes the text on the electronic ClubDISH certificates. The text on them (or on a card with a plastic card attached to it), isn't ever what is offered. The certificate gets you whatever the current DISH new subscriber offer is. Right now, the offer is 3 months of HBO and Cinemax, but for about the previous year it has been pick one from HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, ... but DISH kept the text saying just Starz, $100 off ($10/month off for 10 months). The only thing different for a new sub with and without ClubDISH is the $50 activation fee is waived with the certificate.

If you had called to sign up before 15Aug, you could have received roughly the deal outlined on the certificate. Now, you need to commit to 18 months to get the 6 months of free HD credit, as well as a $50 credit on the account. The new subscriber $100 ($10 for 10) is gone.

If your son has an HD DVR, drag it and him with you to BestBuy, CC, ... to see what SD and HD will look like on prospective sets with DISH programming. I found SD pretty unwatchable on a particular 50" DLP a couple of years ago and returned the set. It is better on some sets than others. Both SD and HD are quite watchable via DISH, but the bigger the screen, the more noticable some things are.

You should be able to sample DISH SD and HD on other TVs, but there may not be a lot of subs in Nevada City.

3. jbassoc

jbassoc New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I appears you are able to decipher the convoluted offerings from dish much better then even the Dish csr's. Thanks! The local installer spent over an hour on the phone on the dish retailer line and even faxed them my clubdish copy but has gotten no answer. I guess I'll get the 722, put an antenna on the tallest tree I can find so I can get OTA HD. I assume I can then go without a contract and get HD at a later date if I want. Under the new rules do I still have to pay the $6/mo for not subscribing to HD?

Very curious what brand, model and size screen size gave you the best performance. Feedback welcome from other forum members also.

Perhaps the forum members could start a Mfg./model rating for the best sets to use with Dish and the ones to stay away from. This would help the members save countless hours and frustration shopping for a new set. With the Mfg. ratings on-line exposure force them to design sets with a better picture when utilizing the output from Satellite TV receivers. A win/win for everybody.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Probably, but it wouldn't matter if they weren't available to you.

I would encourage you to check out neighbors that have the various services installed. At one time or another, they can all be good and turn around and be very bad. CATV and DISH Network are nearing their respective bandwidth limitations and DIRECTV long ago exceeded theirs. All of them experiment with boosting up one channel to the detriment of others. Make sure that you check out the channels that you want to watch (if available) as opposed to the ones that look good at the moment.

In general, I'd be very suspicious of a TV that makes SD insufferable. Admittedly, the state of the DBS art in SD is pretty marginal, but probably no less marginal than cable, so you had better find one that is acceptable. If you want to watch home movies, SD programming is a pretty good indicator as CATV and DBS use resolutions very close to VHS quality.

5. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Yes, with an ViP receiver, you will pay a $6/month fee if you don't sub to DishHD.

WHEN you called to signup and use the ClubDISH cert would determine if new or old rules would apply. If you didn't get started with an order until 15Aug, you are stuck with the current offer.

I'd be very surprised if you could get an OTA signal in Nevada City. I'm in Loomis and am about 40 miles from the towers and get a great signal OTA. But I have no obstructions. There are places in Nevada City where you wouldn't be able to get anything OTA. Sacramento St down by the river would probably have a tough time even getting DBS. If you aren't in a valley and could put up an antenna that would see the towers, you could probably find nearby houses with an antenna as well. I'd use that & maybe checking Nevada City on Avsforums.com for what kind of reception is possible. The local installer should help there too, but if you aren't going to commit to 18 months for the 6 months of free HD, you lose the $120 benefit, the $50 for commit, AND you pay an extra $36. All w/o knowing if you can get HD OTA. You could test that w/o actually subscribing to DISH, but you'd have to spring for the antenna.

Plug your address (not just your zip code) into www.antennaweb.org to see what it says is available and what antenna is recommended.

You left off price in "brand, model and size screen size gave you the best performance." I'm quite happy still using a 32" HD CRT that is several years old. The wife put the nix on the 50" DLP because of SD. I haven't taken my HD DVR to a brick and mortar in years. I just keep watching the prices fall, and the technology improve. I'm a poor source for set suggestions but there are other threads here and avsforums.com you can check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.