1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing from DTV to Dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lariso, Dec 31, 2009.

1. lariso

lariso Cool Member

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't know anyone with Dish, so hope someone can answer some questions.

1)We have had DTV for years, but due to loss of Versus and no HD available for the RV, we plan on moving to Dish. Our RV dish manufacturer says HD is available on Dish with a 211 or a 211K. (I don't know how old the receiver info is as there was no date listed.) Our RV has 3 HD tvs. Does the 211 or 211K allow use of 2 tvs at once?

2) What is ClubDish? I have read threads saying to use a CD code. Can someone PM me a code? Do you sign up at a specific website with the code? Do you still get deals on the new customer plans (i.e. free install, discounts, equip upgrades, etc.)?

3) What receivers do we want to try and get? We currently have a DTV HDDVR in LRM, standard in office & HD in MBR. We would want to have an HD box that we could move from the MBR to the RV for trips like we do now. Moving a box from the LRM would be a real pain.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    First, leased equipment with Dish cannot be taken/used outside the home of record.

With that, to answer your questions:

1) The vip211 and 211K only has one TV output.

2) ClubDish is a referral program, you'd get $30 off the first bill, the person referring you gets $5 off for 10 months.

3) Best bet is to get a leased vip722 duo-TV HDDVR for the LRM and office, then a leased 612 HDDVR or 211 for the MBR, then buy a 211 off Ebay for the RV.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Also... requesting or posting/sending of ClubDish codes is not something that is permitted here.

4. Jan 1, 2010 #4 of 11
    lariso

lariso Cool Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Thanks for the info.

We need to have the ability for 2 different shows on 2 different tvs in the RV since we take the grandkids. Does the 612 HDDVR or 211 allow for this?

Sorry about Club codes. New to this.

5. Jan 1, 2010 #5 of 11
    coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Neither do, you'd want 2 of them, or a duo-TV receiver, but only one of the TVs on the duo would get HD quality.

6. Jan 1, 2010 #6 of 11
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    The loss of venus may infact be the deal breaker for you; however someone passed you bogus information about not being able to have HD with DirecTV in an RV.

You absolutly can. Infact there are autotracking RV mounted dishs capable of all 5 sats for DirecTV. That way you could use your current HD receivers in the RV as you are wanting. Again, it sounds like all that is holding you back is your current RV dish setup.

7. Jan 1, 2010 #7 of 11
    PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Yoda's right. You can have HD DirecTV in your RV to three TVs. I do, in mine. I use a Motosat dish, Winegard makes one also.

What you can't have is HD DirecTV *in motion* going down the road. But then I don't think you can do that with Dish, either.

Keith

8. Jan 1, 2010 #8 of 11
    lariso

lariso Cool Member

Dec 9, 2006
    That is true, but we like the sat set up we have on the RV and it's a lot cheaper to change providers with the bonus that we get Versus back. My husband is a cycling nut, so is having withdrawl pains. The Tour of CA is coming to our area and he will be working it, so wants to record whatever he is missing.

9. Jan 2, 2010 #9 of 11
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
  10. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Would it be advisable to have a DVR in an RV? I would think that all of the motion could drastically shorten the life of the hard drive, especially if you are talking about using it while the RV is in motion.

11. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    It's mostly the same as all other RV in-motion dishes, just smaller. It will receive one satellite at a time. So yeah, you can in theory receive HD channels on Dish if you tune it to 129.

I still hold out hope that someone will manage to engineer an in-motion dish that will receive the DirecTV 99-101-103 triad simultaneously. I suspect that the physical issues may be impossible to overcome, at least in an enclosure that will still keep the RV below 13.5 feet high. Maybe someone will devise a phased array antenna that uses the whole roof surface.

Keith