1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing HR34 Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Is there a thread hiding somewhere that shows how to get into a HR34 to replace the internal 1TB HD with a 2TB HD? I know there is a thread for the HR20, HR21 and HR23 which I have done in the past.

However they have clearly removed most of the obvious screws from the HR34.

Thanks

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Why not just hook up an external 2TB drive? It's much easier to do and you get the same result.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not to mention actually sanctioned by DirecTV.

4. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    Owned unit - not really that concerned about "sanctioned".

Neater with an internal drive.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Well if it's owned, you avoid any risk in terms of warranty violation.

That said....

I also have owned HD DVRs of multiple models, and also know others who do.

Lessons learned include knowing what to do before starting such a task. It is very easy to damage an HD DVR entering inside of it. Despite now being able to do it routinely, I take great care is exercising the process. The HR34 construction is also different inside than any other preceding HD DVR unit.

Certain things have to be done in certain sequences or certain ways. In some cases, you need certain (nonstandard) tools. Bottom line - if someone doesn't thoroughly understand what they are doing before they start - the risk of damage or some other problem is very high.

I suspect that for these reasons, even those of us who have done hard drive upgrades would caution most folks away from doing it unless there's a critical need (like a bad drive).

6. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    Quite frankly, mod or not, your reply is VERY condescending.

I have also replaced DVRs internally on 4 HR2x DVRs, a Motorola FiOS DVR, a Motorola 630 SC DVR and countless others - all without any damage.

There is a 19 page thread on how to replace the internal hard drive of a DVR as well as other threads. If the current DBSTalk thinking is not to allow responses where the something could go wrong, suggest you delete all self install threads as well. Heck, might as well take out the threads on how to connect a IRD to a TV as someone might plug something in the wrong slot.

As you noted, "Lessons learned include knowing what to do before starting such a task."

That's exactly why I asked exactly how to take the cover off.

Thanks a lot for the lack of info!

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Ok, as you point out there is a thread for replacing the hard drive on an owned DVR. I presume yours is... Right?

Please continue discussion there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.