1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Changing HR44 from wireless Connection to Ethernet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by litig8r187, Jun 16, 2013.

1. litig8r187

litig8r187 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Aggieland,...
    Just had my HR44-500 installed last week. They also installed three C41-700 clients and one HR24-100 (replacing an HR20). The HR20 and the HR44 are shared. The installer said he couldn't do a wired Ethernet connection on the HR44 even though I had the Ethernet connection right there. He said for Whole Home, he had to use the built in wireless.

A wireless connection (at least mine) is too slow. I've been waiting an hour for a movie to download. When I had my HR20 wired, it was almost instant. I want to do a wired connection on the HR44. I tried to just connect my Ethernet cable but it continues to use the wireless connection.

Can I switch to the wired Ethernet connection without loosing whole home and sharing with my HR24? If so how? I haven't been able to find how to get the HR44 to recognize the Ethernet connection and ignore the wireless connection. I haven't dug too deep into the network setting for fear I may mess up the whole home settings.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well first this may not be your issue and likely isn't, but, to switch to wired is actually far easier than your think. Plug it in and then hit the red button or do a menu restart. It will grab the wired upon a reboot instead of wireless. No settings to change.

And it won't affect anything else. Your Whole Home Service will work fine after switching. The hr44 acts like a bridge unlike the hr 2x units.

3. litig8r187

litig8r187 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Aggieland,...
    Nope, didn't work. In Settings>Info & Test>More System Info under Network it says Wireless: connected Ethernet: Deactivated (Wireless Configured). I suspect I will have to go into network setup and manually do this but I not really confident in dong it correct.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Can you turn off the wireless of your router and then try it ?
    This way it would not have a signal to lock onto.

5. litig8r187

litig8r187 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Aggieland,...
    My understanding is the HR44 has an "internal CCk" that works wirelessly. To connect the HR44 using Ethernet, do I need an external CCK or can I just plug the Ethernet into the HR44 and change a setting somewhere?

6. litig8r187

litig8r187 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Aggieland,...
    Jimmie, I may try that but the fact that it is indicating the Ethernet is "deactivated" makes me think I need to change a setting.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It would possibly do that. It might be programmed to look for a wireless connection first and if it finds one it deactivates the Ethernet connection.
    I do not know this, just guessing here.

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    My understanding is the HR44 has an "internal CCk" that works wirelessly. To connect the HR44 using Ethernet, do I need an external CCK or can I just plug the Ethernet into the HR44 and change a setting somewhere?

Connecting an ethernet cable a doing a red button reset will disable the built in wireless and connect using the ethernet

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I found this on the solid signal site.

The HR44 Genie DVR gives you options you didn’t have before. The HR34 could act as its own Cinema Connection Kit -- in other words run ethernet into it and it would provide internet service to all your other receivers. The HR44 does this too, but it takes networking a step further. It includes a wireless adapter built in so that you can disconnect your cinema connection kit altogether and connect to your router wirelessly!

The setup function is built into the "Connect Now" menu when you are first setting up the DVR.
    If you want to use it with a cinema connection kit, because you’re not in wi-fi range, you have that option as well.
    The HR44 will behave perfectly, configuring itself automatically for your existing DIRECTV network. Streamlining the network connection process is very important for new installs, and if you’re the sort who doesn’t like looking at extra black boxes, it’s important to you as well.

There have been various rumors that there will be a truly wireless DIRECTV receiver, one that doesn’t need a coaxial cable. This isn’t that receiver, and the folks at the Consumer Electronics Show weren’t talking, but putting wireless networking in the DVR certainly points to something like that in the future. Oh well, we will have to be patient...

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    There is no setting to change it. Maybe you are having network issues from your router or something. Once you plug in the hr44 via Ethernet cable if you reboot it will ignore the wifi. Trust me in this one I have done it plenty if times. ;)

11. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I found this on the solid signal site.

The HR44 Genie DVR gives you options you didn’t have before. The HR34 could act as its own Cinema Connection Kit -- in other words run ethernet into it and it would provide internet service to all your other receivers. The HR44 does this too, but it takes networking a step further. It includes a wireless adapter built in so that you can disconnect your cinema connection kit altogether and connect to your router wirelessly!

The setup function is built into the "Connect Now" menu when you are first setting up the DVR.
    If you want to use it with a cinema connection kit, because you’re not in wi-fi range, you have that option as well.
    The HR44 will behave perfectly, configuring itself automatically for your existing DIRECTV network. Streamlining the network connection process is very important for new installs, and if you’re the sort who doesn’t like looking at extra black boxes, it’s important to you as well.

There have been various rumors that there will be a truly wireless DIRECTV receiver, one that doesn’t need a coaxial cable. This isn’t that receiver, and the folks at the Consumer Electronics Show weren’t talking, but putting wireless networking in the DVR certainly points to something like that in the future. Oh well, we will have to be patient...

The only point in adding a separate DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit is if you don't have an Ethernet cable next to the unit. Plugging in Ethernet directly works as well as wifi.

Basically the hr44 has a wired and wireless DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit built in and it gives priority to the hard wired automatically if its plugged in. Something else is causing his issue.

12. litig8r187

litig8r187 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Aggieland,...
    peds48, I'll try it again. It didn't work the first time I tried. I'll also reset the router and modem too

13. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you have anything else you can plug into the Ethernet cable to make sure it's working right?

14. litig8r187

litig8r187 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Aggieland,...
    Yea. I'm going to plug in my laptop and see. I'm recording two shows now so I'm gonna wait to do the reset.

15. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yea. I'm going to plug in my laptop and see. I'm recording two shows now so I'm gonna wait to do the reset.

Make sure the WiFi is off

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Might you also have a wired DECA somewhere in the system? Anyway a reboot should cure it if the ethernet cable and ports are solid.

Good luck!

17. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I never had to change any settings to get wired working. I just plugged in the ethernet cable.

18. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I have my HR44 and 24 Ethernet wired connected, the same way I had the HR22 connected also, So the tech should just connect the Ethernet that was already there for both boxes and leave it at that, I don't think the tech went on the menu for network setup since it was already configured with an IP address, It so much faster on MRV from 44 than the HR22 playing back on the HR24.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

19. BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1 Cool Member

Nov 2, 2007
    I am getting a genie next week.

If they bring out the H44 and the wireless is too slow for useful OnDemand, can I use the DECA device that I was using before I sent back one of my DVRs? It is a little rectangular device that is connected to my router by ethernet cable and to the SWM by coax. It was installed when they installed whole home.

20. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I just 'supervised' two installations of a 44 and genie clients for a friend and my MIL. On my MIL account, they charged her $21 for a CCK. (44 and 2 genie clients was free).

But on both, the installer brought a 44 and insisted that they had to do wireless.

At some point, I'll install a CCK on both.