1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing local channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gimme5, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    I got a letter from DTV saying that my locals are gonna change from Tampa to Orlando (which works out great for me, since we're a lot closer to Orlando than Tampa, and DTV is getting rid of PaxTV/ITV -- which broadcasts some Orlando Magic games on the Tampa locals--)

My question is: what do you guys think is going to happen to my series link? will the R-15 understand that NBC is now channel2 instead of 8? will I have to reset the SLs?

Did anyone here go through the same thing?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    If it follows anything like what the TiVo did...
    You are going to have to reset them...

Honestly... I don't know as it will be a first since the R15s where release.
    Let us know what happens.

3. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    Will do. My gut tells me that I will have to reset everything. Unless of course DTV comes out with a magical update before the switch.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I would strongly recommend that you delete all of your series links before the cutover date/time, and re-add them after.

If you don't, what is liable (and probable) to happen is that the R15 will remember all of those shows are series links on another channel, and will not allow you to set new series links on the new channel. Even worse, once the channels are gone, you won't be able to get back to them in the guide to un-do the old series links.

Carl

5. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Dumb question (don't have one): can't you delete SLs from the prioritizer?

6. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Yeah you can - dash dash works in the prioritizer. I use it all the time.

7. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    The problem with that is that I have no cutover date! All I know is that it will happen before April 12. So every morning, I check to see if I'm getting the Orlando locals yet.

8. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    Well, I got a call from DTV on 4/11 saying that my locals will switch from Tampa to Orlando on 4/12. I figured the new channels would be there in the morning, but they weren't.

At 4pm, still nothing, so I called DTV to have them switched manually (I didn't want the channels to switch during prime time while the DVRs were recording "important" stuff).

Anyway. I had to reset all the series links on the R-15. No big deal, except that I have to wait for the guide to populate in order to do so for some shows.

It was more problematic on the DTivo. I could record each show individually, but couldn't setup a season pass (the shows were listed as "missing" in the todo list). Tivo was telling me that there were no upcoming episodes for my shows. That problem fixed itself after maybe an hour or two.

9. TheTooleMan

TheTooleMan Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    Can entering a new zip code on the receiver cause it to pick up different local channels?

10. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    No, that won't work. They go by your service address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.