1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Changing new dish for international channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by leechuck, May 29, 2013.

1. leechuck

leechuck New Member

May 29, 2013
    I want to switch the mandarin direct package to Cantonese package, but I need a different dish since those stations aren't listed on the programming guide.

How much will direct tv charge for changing the dish?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When you subscribe to the channel package, the cost of the dish, installation, etc., should be covered. Only way to find out for certain is to call and ask.

3. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    There's a International Language Group that handles all of the international dish options. Keep in mind that if you have HD or live in certain markets (where the 119 satellite is required) you will need two dishes.

4. leechuck

leechuck New Member

May 29, 2013
    I don't have HD, just mandarin direct which I found the programming is no longer appealing with locals.

5. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Usually there is a $49 charge (plus tax and possibly shipping charges) for the installation but generally no charge for the dish itself.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    which dish you currently have? IIRC, both packages comes from the 95 satellite. Does your dish says "World Direct" on it?

7. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    The MandarinDirect III comes out of the 95 and the ChineseDirect is out of the 119 like Jadworld was. I assume he is talking about ChineseDirect when he references Cantonese.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
  9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that dish (first link) has not been installed in the past (at least) 5 years. but who knows!!!

10. leechuck

leechuck New Member

May 29, 2013
    The dish does say world direct on the dish. This dish was install to get mandarin direct channels and I do see Filipino, Korean, Vietnamese channels on the listing. I never seen jade world channels on the listing with this dish

11. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    A SL5 will pick up the 119 for the ChineseDirect, so the world direct dish isn't needed. Do you know if your other dish is a SL3 or SL5?

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not quite, The Food Network Asia channel 2104 in on the 95, so the OP TS will need both a dish that can pick up the 119 and the international dish.

13. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    The Food Network Asia is listed out of the 119. It's also part of the MandarinDirect III and that package would include several channels from the 95, so the world direct dish would be included with any order including that package.

14. leechuck

leechuck New Member

May 29, 2013
    Only one big dish world direct

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    picture it

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh Ok;

Didn't know that and actually thought the two were presently being installed concurrently.

You know, and just out of historical interest regarding the 95w international dish, I've always wondered about what I assume was the early first generation ODU pictured in the following attachment.

5-31-2013 6-26-31 PM.png

On occasion I still see just about every other type of long obsolete DIRECTV dish mounted on a home or building somewhere except this one.

Sorry about the somewhat blurry-ness of the image, but had to copy it from an old installation video in small format since its hard to find any photos of this particular dish on the web. Can't even find a model number for it.

It apparently had a blank round 36" (I think) diameter dish with a flange on the perimeter with two struts along with the main LNB arm supporting the LNB(s).

Dish had no tilt adjustment since its not an elliptical dish. The linear LNB once aimed at 95w had to be manually rotated in its collar while watching an attached field strength meter to line up its horizontal plane of reception with that of the horizontal polarization from the satellite. Then if a 101 LNB was needed it had to be mounted then manually adjusted to a higher, even, or lower, angle relative to the linear LNB to match the angle of the Clarke belt from the dish location.

Bet this thing was a real pain to setup at the time ...

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    While I have seen them, I have never "played" with those.

18. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    the single dish is 95 + 101. For Jadeworld 119 is required so it would likely be a 2 dish install, since removal of the 95 dish is not likely.

19. leechuck

leechuck New Member

May 29, 2013
    Ok, thanks for all the information. I called direct tv and they told me it will cost me for a dish exchange with a 2 year agreement. No thanks

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would do it by myself ...