1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing rooms for a receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kandor, Dec 28, 2008.

1. kandor

kandor AllStar

Dec 29, 2007
    Corpus Christi
    I feel really stupid asking this, but here goes:

I have 2 HD-DVRs, 1 HD and 1 standard receiver. I want to move the HD receiver to a different room where there is a coax cable but DTV wasn't installed into that room. In my attic I find the 6x8 multiswitch with 6 lines going out. It's hard for me to trace where the cables are going to after they leave the multiswitch: it's just a group of cables that go into the wall. I know I can just unplug each cable until I find which one I need to disconnect, but I can't find the cable that's going to the new room.

Shouldn't there be an unconnected cable in this mess that leads to the new room?

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Should be.

Is the room your wanting to move the box too back to back with a room that currently has a box?

If so, are the wall jacks back to back?

If the builder was lazy/cheap, he may have just put a 2 way splitter behind the wall plate.

3. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    ....or sometimes installers look at what they have to work with and make adjustments, especially when DVR's are involved. Sometimes they don't bother the homeowner with insignificant details.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_id=5733

Spend $15 for this tool (Pocket Toner), which will help you track down that cable. It is really a battery and a speaker. You put the battery side on one end of the cable (in the room where you want to move the receiver) and plug the speaker end onto the loose cables until it beeps. The one that beeps is the one you want.

Note that lines hooked up to sat receivers will also beep the speaker, as the sat receivers put DC voltage on the line just like the battery.

5. kandor

kandor AllStar

Dec 29, 2007
    Corpus Christi
    Thanks! That's just what I need.

6. dlocks

dlocks Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    Seems to me that all 6 lines should be used up.
    2 to each dvr = 4
    1 to hd receiver = 1
    1 to sd receiver = 1
    total = 6

7. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    If he has the WB68, the 6 is for the satellite outputs (4 main outputs from dish + 2 flexports for 72.5/international dishes) that feed the signal to the switch. The switch then can output a signal to 8 separate tuners. 6 in, 8 out.

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Yeah, I believe he knows that. The problem is he has six coax feeds coming out of the WB68 and he thought one was unused, but with 2xHD-DVR + 1xHD and 1xSD receiver, he is using all six feeds. The unused feed in the other room is then likely not connected to the WB68. It may go to a cable demarc outside the house or to a cable splitter int he attic or basement. it sounds like he needs to pull some more cable to get this outlet hot on the WB68.