1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel 95 and baseball games

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Bob Coxner, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 2, 2007 #1 of 17
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm new to HD so I'm not sure exactly how blackouts are supposed to work on 95. Is it just for EI subs? Are you supposed to only be blacked out for out of market games or should you get all games on 95? I was assuming I would at least get my own team games available on 95 but the Rangers-Mariners game a couple of days ago was on 95 but was blacked out for me. The Rangers are my market team and I got the game on Fox Southwest. I can't remember the exact message but I think it was "channel not purchased" on 95.

2. Jun 2, 2007 #2 of 17
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If the feed on channel 95 was from an RSN other then Fox Southwest, that is why it was blacked out for you. Whatever feed you normally would get, if it's in HD on 95 then you'll get it.

Example: FSN Detroit is my RSN. Red Wings vs. LA Kings game. HD version is on 95. I'm blacked out because the feed they use is from FSN West, which I am not authorized for. If it had been the feed from FSN Detroit, then I would have got the game on 95 (as I did about a dozen times during last season).

The feed used is typically that of the home team, but not always.

3. Jun 2, 2007 #3 of 17
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Bob, also check Channel 96 as the Rangers games MAYBE on that channel in your area. Its the MPEG4 RSN channel. :) I say maybe due to the HD RSNs currently being spotbeamed. You would have to check to see if you are within the beam.

4. Jun 2, 2007 #4 of 17
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    At the moment "channels I receive" doesn't show 96 and I don't remember seeing it before. FS Southwest covers the entire state of Texas, so I'm clearly within the spotbeam - if there is one. I remember checking the Fox Sports website recently and FS Southwest was not listed as one of their RSNs that were available in HD. But, I don't know how up to date their website is.

As for where the 95 broadcast originated, it was impossible for me to tell since I wasn't able to view the game. :) It was a Mariner's home game. However, I also recall getting a different blackout message when I tried to watch the Rangers at Astros a few weeks ago on 95. My area gets both FS Southwest and FS Houston in SD, so it shouldn't have mattered where the broadcast originated.

5. Jun 2, 2007 #5 of 17
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=2300004

Follow that link, FSN SW IS listed as having their games on Channel 96 in MPEG4. Follow the link within that page, put in your zip code and see if you are eligible the HD channel. (Within the beam). If you discover after checking you can receive the MPEG 4 games. You need to go into your favorites and make sure Channel 96 and/or 97 is checked.

6. Jun 2, 2007 #6 of 17
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    I remember now that I had checked that link before. Here's the result:

The 76712 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro team(s) available in Standard Definition. With HD Access select teams available in HD where noted below:
    With any DIRECTV base package:
    FSN Southwest (Ch. 643)
    # Dallas Mavericks
    # Dallas Mavericks
    # Dallas Stars
    # Dallas Stars
    # FC Dallas
    # FC Dallas
    # Houston Astros
    # Texas Rangers

As you can see, there's no indication of HD availability. When I put in a Dallas zip code I get:

The 75226 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro team(s) available in Standard Definition. With HD Access select teams available in HD where noted below:
    With any DIRECTV base package:
    FSN Southwest (Ch. 643)
    # Dallas Mavericks
    # Dallas Mavericks
    # Dallas Stars (HD Available)
    # Dallas Stars
    # FC Dallas
    # FC Dallas
    # Houston Astros
    # Texas Rangers (HD Available)

Apparently, DirecTV doesn't think I can get the HD spotbeam at my location. I know I *can* get the Dallas SD spotbeam because in the past I "moved" to get Dallas locals and they came in at 99 strength. Does the HD spotbeam have a different footprint than the SD spotbeam?

7. Jun 2, 2007 #7 of 17
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    The MPEG 4 Spotbeams are narrower from what I understand. The HD RSNs are expected to go CONUS after the successful launch and test of the new birds. (Expected to go live in September....there is a link around here detailing all this.)

8. Jun 2, 2007 #8 of 17
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    I played around more with the zip codes on DTV. If you put in a zip code anywhere in the Dallas DMA then it shows HD available. Outside the Dallas DMA and it's no go. I'm only about 20 miles outside the Dallas DMA, so it looks to me that it's more DTV's decision to limit HD to the Dallas DMA rather than a technical limit of the spotbeam. I wonder if a protest to DTV would get me anywhere? Any suggestions on what department to ask for? Remember, it's not a matter of whether I'm eligible for FS Southwest (I am) but whether I'm eligible for the HD version.

9. Jun 3, 2007 #9 of 17
    bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    It's as simple as this: Current RSNs in HD are authorized with HD locals package. So it's only available in the Dallas DMA because it's only authorized with Dallas locals. Doesn't matter if you are under the spotbeam or not.

Same thing here. FSN Detroit is my RSN but it's only available with the Detroit HD locals.

This will all go away in the fall when the RSNs in HD go on the national beams on D10.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Guess I'll have to "move" again if I want my RSN HD before D10. :) I'm still curious if this is a DTV decision or one forced on them by Fox?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

11. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    They don't have a choice really. All they have for new HD is the spotbeam sats right now, so it's a choice they made to make it as simple as possible. They have recently tried to go beyond this for YES HD since Yankee fans can't get enough of themselves ;) but all this is just a stop gap until the new sat with CONUS beams is up there.

Nothing to do with Fox, simply a limitation of the stop gap system they have in place.

12. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I bet those same Yankee fans are wishing they had never made waves about getting YES HD. :D

13. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Bob - nice to see another Rangers fan.

I can confirm that the TWO Rangers HD games against the Mariners these past 4 days have been FSN Northwest feeds (Mariners feeds).

I've been able to watch both, but as I'm not in either DMA and on the east coast...I guess it works out a bit better for me then :).

14. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Typical satellite and/or MLB logic. I'm *in* the Fox Southwest territory but can't watch the Rangers in HD. You're *outside* the Rangers territory but you can watch it in HD. Unless you're an EI sub and then I'll accept it.

15. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Yes, I'm an EI subscriber. Remember, I live WAAAAAAAAAAAY outside the Fox Southwest Territory, I'm in South Carolina...

We Rangers fans have to stick together this season though :(

BTW - If you haven't already, check out the newbergreport.com. Everything you want to know about the Rangers is there (plus my father runs Jamey Newberg's website).

16. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    This is not exactly true. I get all NHL games there, because I have NHL CI, but I do not have MLB EI. Nevertheless, whenever the Giants have been on 94 or 95, I am told it is not available in my area. I have checked, and in at least two cases, the HD feed on 95 has been FSNBA, but I am still not allowed access.

17. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Your MLB issue (I believe) is the age old problem of the team claiming you, thus being blacked out on EI, but the MLB not allowing you access to a station that actually carries the games. MLB is talking about this problem. Hopefully they will get with it and fix their 50 year old rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.