1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel Change Reboots

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Oldcoot, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Oldcoot

Oldcoot AllStar

Dec 17, 2004
    942 reboots when I change channels about 50% of the time.
    I am running dual mode and this occurs with either remote and on either tuner.
    Reboots will occur if I enter a channel manually or if I select a channel from the program guide.
    Anyone else seen this ??

2. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Not at all. Sounds like you may have a power issue. Might want to try a UPS

3. Sep 1, 2006 #3 of 14
    LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Random reboots are often a power issue. If it only happens when changing channels, however, it is probably something else.

4. Sep 3, 2006 #4 of 14
    Oldcoot

Oldcoot AllStar

Dec 17, 2004
    Have had a UPS on the system since I got it.
    Reboots are not ramom or self initiated. Only happens with a channel change.

I learned the value of a UPS on the Dish receivers when I had a 921.
    Kept it for over a year and never experienced any malfunction.

5. AmEx

AmEx Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I would try these steps first:

1st- make sure you have a current software version
    2nd- see if you can use different remote controll. It could be a broken remote ctr.

6. Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    AmEx-

Do you even have a 942? The things you post indicate that you do not. The software updates are automatic and unavaoidable. You keep posting about checking for latest software like they have a choice and may have neglected the update.

Thank you for trying to help though :)

7. AmEx

AmEx Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006

Well, I've been troubleshooting D* receivers for the past 5 years and guess what? I would say 8 out of 10 people had problem with a software version. Some receivers will not update the software version for whatever reason and software is what makes them work as you probably know... and yes, I do have 942 my friend...

Thank you for trying to help though :)

8. Oldcoot

Oldcoot AllStar

Dec 17, 2004
    Current software, yes
    UPS, Yes
    Unit cool, yes

Reboots occur with either remote, either tuner.
    About 1 out of every 5 channel changes.
    Reboots occur as a result of direct entry channel change, selecting a channel from the guide, selecting last channel recall.

Oddly enough, it never reboots when it changes channels for a recording or if I set up a timer to change channels.

9. AmEx

AmEx Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I would call D* and ask for replacement remote controll... if that does not help, replace your unit...

10. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Just a friendly FYI...on these boards D*= DirectTV. E* represents Dish Network.

11. AmEx

AmEx Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I'm sorry, I meant E*... i was thinking Dish and that's why I put D... sorry for the confusion.

12. Oldcoot

Oldcoot AllStar

Dec 17, 2004
    I can't see it being a remote control problem.
    Slim chance that both remotes would develop the identical problem at the same time.

13. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005

That very well may be true with D* receivers (I have no experience with these at all), but with E* I disagree. Because of the way they set the downloads, this is not a normal reason for issues.

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Software versions used to be an issue with older E* IRD's (I had 2 4000's I know all about this issue since those receivers had an option in the menu to ask before downloading), however these newer gereration units have been real good about updating. About the only way to avoid an update is to unplug the receiver every night, but that would cause another problem since the EPG could not get it's update until the receiver gets plugged back in.