1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel Changing Speed HDMI vs Component

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kniles, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kniles

kniles AllStar

Apr 24, 2007
    Have only had my HR20-100 about two weeks. I have been running (Native On) with HDMI cable. Channel changing is very slow. I have gone through related posts and found Native On to be the main cause of this, but could I gain even a little more channel changing speed by replacing the HDMI cable with Component

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I have two HR20's, both running native on, one connected via HDMI and one via component, and I see no detectable difference in channel changing speed.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    +1

4. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think alot of the speed has to do with your TV, rather than the HR-20 or what type of HD connection is used. Each TV is different in respect to how fast to changes it's resolution. Earl had posted, in another thread to check the timing on several different changes, like going from one HD to another HD channel vs going from and HD channel to and SD channel and vice versa. Also throw in(if you have MPEG 4 content available) an change from MPEG4 content channels to other various mode channels. This way you can see if it's your TV's resolution changes or something else, slowing things down.

I know, after reading people's complaints about slow channel changes, I was worried, but after getting my box, my channel changes aren't really that much slower than my HR10-250. It takes about 2 seconds to change the channel to another like resoultion channel(HD -> HD or SD -> SD) and about 4 seconds to go from HD to and SD channel or vice versa, for me. Looking at the HR10-250, if I total the time it takes to change the channel AND the resolution(which has to be done manually on the HR10-250), using the up arrow, the times between the HR-20 and HR10-250 are similar.

5. Slatts

Slatts AllStar

Jul 16, 2007
    Having same trouble. HDMI vs component did not matter. I also have had mine about two weeks and I am having huge lags between channels. 15 Seconds on the scenarios Earl has presented. The only fix that I have gotten to work so far is a soft reset through the menu or a hard reset though the "unplug" method, neither of which is acceptable. I have native off. I think we are on to a new bug here. Something is not right. Since so much attention has been given to set type. What type of TV do you have? I have a Sammy DLP.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.