1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Channel Master and Echostar working on new OTA DVR

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Channel Master and Echostar working on new OTA DVR

Sometimes you just want to enjoy TV without making a commitment, and time-shifting broadcasts either means building your own HTPC or purchasing an OTA DVR -- like the now defunct Boxee.

Back in 2011, Channel Master teamed up with Entone to fill that niche and a recent FCC filing shows the company (once again) partnering with Echostar to bring a new OTA DVR to the market. The set-top box -- called Channel Master K77 (not pictured) -- also provides over-the-top functionality and comes in two flavors: CM-7500GB16, which features 16GB of built-in flash (and relies on external USB storage for DVR support) and CM-7500GB320, which incorporates a 320GB hard drive.

While it's unclear when the device will launch, it will be competing with a number of similar offerings from Simple.TV, Tivo (Series 5) and Aereo once it lands on store shelves.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Add a clear QAM tuner for basic cable subscribers and make it function like an old VCR so you don't have to pay a fee to use it and they might have something useful for us cheapskates who simply want to view TV when we want to.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It sounds very much like the Dish DTVPAL DVR they had produced earlier. I have one of those - it works pretty well, except that now the only guide info you get is the PSIP that all stations are required - usually about 12 hours to about 72 hours, depending on the station. It was really great until ROVI turned off the TVGOS and you could get up to a week of good guide info.

4. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    It could be a good product. I wonder how many tuners it would have, could it support external antenna, could it stream to other devices?

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    It needs at least 2 tuners, And the ability to copy to your PC, else - get a TiVo.

Why settle for less when the best is possible cheaper.

Without an antenna it is a brick, not a tuner!

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    It was my impression the 'old' Channel Master OTA DVR just needed a software update or two to be halfway decent. Did that ever happen, or am I mixing it up with something else ??

(HTGO)

:coffee

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    there was two of them - which one you mentioned ?

7000DVR and 7400

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    With ChuckieCo involved, it'll probably have a fee to nickle and dime you every month.

Without that, it could be OK. The previous CM DVR was far too expensive.

9. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Because Tivo has halted production of models with OTA tuners. And because Tivo charges an outrageous monthly fee for their guide info. My guess is that any "savings" you'd get by getting a Tivo would quickly be eaten up in guide fees.

10. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
    I was a beta tester for the Original Dish DTVPAL DVR and thought it was a pretty good ota machine. My only complaint was i couldn't hook iit up to basic cable and have it work.

I agree if they do put a QAM Turner in it; there could be quite a market from us cheapstakes, who want to move to IPTV.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I could give a little secret as you was a beta tester, the model [TR-50] has tuner's chips what are supporting 8VSB and QAM modulation; it was a matter of FW development to employ the capabilty
    bur echostar went more profitable way - get 8VSB only signals and added PayTV features (smart card, ordering PPV, subsribe, etc)

12. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    I agree that it should have ClearQAM functionality and I hope it doesn't come with a monthly fee like TiVO.

Channel Master already sells a ATSC/NTSC/ClearQAM tuner for $123 (that seems very expensive to me, but it is one of the few (if not only) ClearQAM tuners available), but it doesn't have the DVR functionality. I hope they would also include ClearQAM in this box too.

I work for a University and we are migrating to digital ClearQAM over the summer in our residence halls. It would be great to point students to a DVR that supports ClearQAM with no monthly fee. I just hope the price is reasonable.

13. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I wish the broadcasters would create a DVR themselves. I think a lot of new functionality could be created.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    You meant the channels themselves? They wouldn't allow them to do anything like skipping or ffwd. But theyd have every pop up in the world during commercials to buy anything that was in the commercial...

15. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I'm thinking something more like the UK's "Red Button" service....
    If I'm watching a newscast, I could push a "Red Button" during a story, and the DVR would download background/sidebar information, in any format (graphics, text, audio, etc) to be viewed a bit later. Talking-head programs, like newscasts, would be ideal times to send the additional non-broadcast format data, since the newscasts generally have low bandwidth requirements.
    A car commercial could use the "Red Button" to send you a more detailed look at the vehicle and it's options...or even let you get time to read all those "legal details" that are usually in such fine print.
    A story about weather in a certain area of the world could include a "Red Button" invitation, which would let you view a more in-depth forecast, or even allow the DVR to accept updates throughout the storm.
    All this info could be trickled in to your DVR during low-bandwidth portions of the programming, since it would not be "live".
    And, the stations could add small ads to the downloads, just like they do on their websites, so they could justify their efforts.

16. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011

To the viewer/tax-supported BBC, you are the customer. To US commercial TV networks, you are the product - advertisers are the customer.

So, the BBC gives you the red button, and the US commercial networks try to figure out how to make you stop skipping their ads.

17. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Follow this company....Simple.tv

Started as a Kickstarter campaign. About four months, they secured 6M from New World Ventures (VC run by a Pritzker).

Promising hardware for an OTA DVR solution.

https://www.simple.tv/overview

18. jamelar

jamelar Cool Member

Dec 30, 2010
    The TR-50 tuner would not have qualified for the $50 government card had it included QAM capability.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    TR-50 (its a DVR, remember ?) never been qualified for $40 coupon; perhaps you think about TR-40.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nay.

• No HDMI to TV.
    • Another money maker on TV guide [EPG].