1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel numbers and mapdowns...

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Stewart Vernon, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The TBSHD addition got me to thinking... I wonder if we are nearing the end of the grouping of HD channels up in the 94xx range.

With mapdown, if we all reconfigure ourselves to look at the "old" SD channel numbers and map the HD down... then all but the Vooms and a handful of non-simulcast channels can literally be anywhere in the channel range and we can find them by the SD channel number easily.

I bring this up because of speculation that perhaps TBSHD is temporary since it is using a previously assigned PPV channel number... but maybe the reality is that no longer matters.

Dish was going to have a tough time grouping channels together in 94xx without some restructuring as things stay. TBS can't go near TNT like it ought to in the 94xx range unless they move others around. Not enough channels were skipped to put all the HBO/SHO/MAX/STARZ HD when those come on board either. Also can't put USA/SciFi/Bravo next to UniversalHD like would make sense.

So I'm thinking... maybe what we will start to see is more extensive use of mapdown and any new HD channel that comes onboard will be stuck wherever they have room, with a mapdown to the SD equivalent for ease. Then only the non-simulcast (HDNet, HDNET Movies, HD Theater, etc.) need to be grouped together in the 94xx area.

Any thoughts, and would this bother anyone if it became the trend?

2. saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    I think you could be right, and I think that is how D* has handled their recently added HD chanels. It wouldn't bother me. Sometimes I scroll the the 94xx's to see what's available to watch in HD. But, not a big deal if that option went away.

3. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I am slowly trying to train myself to use the mapdowns now as more HD comes onboard.. and I modified my favorites list to only include the mapdowns, except of course for the channels that have no mapdown.

I think if I get back into the habit, it'll all be better. I see further info has TBSHD moving to 9499 sometime next week.. I would find it more difficult to move between 9499 and 9420 for TBS and TNT... but 139 and 138 mapdowns are right next to each other.

4. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    personally, i cross-referenced what is mapped down and hid all the 9xxx channels so they dont show up in my guide.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The ViP receivers have a predefined "HD" list if all you want to see is your HD choices.

I expect the 9500's to fill up next. Mapdowns do make it easier ... although some sort of "automatically replace SD with HD" option would be nice. (Right now we have mapdown or not with SDs always there. The option to automaticallyshow HD when available instead of SD would be good.)

6. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I have all channels in HD at their lower numbered places. Any hd channels that are NOT simulcast of the sd channels are left in the 9500 range. I block out all high numbered channel duplicates for the simulcast and block out all lower channel map down channels when they are not simulcasts like HGTV or FOOD tv. My wife watches both the hd hgtv and the hgtv in sd , same for food channel , so I can't replace the sd versions with the hd ones yet. THis keeps it looking much nicer and my guide isn't full of duplication. I look forward to the day when all of the low numbered channels are in hd too.

7. davethestalker

davethestalker Godfather

Sep 16, 2006
    I would not like it if HD channels completely replaced is SD mate. For instance, I record PTI everyday. I used to record it on the HD channel, but why do that, the show is not even in HD (yet). The show is in 4:3 except the side bars say "ESPN" or something like that.

Shows like Survivor are still NOT in HD and for the life of me I can't figure out why CBS can't get their crap together.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not that D* is perfect, but they have the opposite option from E* when it comes to "mapdown" numbers. D* does not have visible mapdowns ... there are no 9400/9500 series numbers - they simply put the new HD on a lower channel. Very similar to E* ... when one types the channel number manually they get the HD version but can still arrow up or down or use the EPG to select the SD version.

Where E* and D* differ is when it comes to these duplicate numbers. E*'s user interface allows the user to hide the HD mapdowns ... as if they don't exist. D*'s user interface allows the user to hide the SD channels that are replaced by HD ... so the best PQ signal is the one in the guide.

I agree with you that there are valid reasons to record and view SD programming ... why waste hard drive space on upconversion if the SD is good enough and why watch stretchovision at all. But it seems that E* is making it easier to hide the better PQ than the weaker PQ. I'd like to have the option (without manually going into LOCKS and getting rid of the SD channels).

Best case scenario:
    Under Menu-6-9 (Locals) then "Channel Display"
    On the DishHD Channels side where the choices are Enable or Disable add a HD Priority option
    HD Priority for DishHD would do the same thing as for Local Sat Channels ... if there is a HD channel and a SD channel via satellite the receiver prefers and displays the HD version.

This would not prevent you from choosing the regular mapdown options - it would just add another option.

I wouldn't mind seeing SD added to the "format" button options as well. Right now one can stretch around the HD or SD feed to fit the screen but not easily switch between HD and SD versions. Sure I can arrow up (or is it down) for the other version ... but if it is locked out or hidden in the UI I lose that option.

Give me more control over my TV. That's all I ask! :)

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I know this is off-topic for my own thread... but James gave me an idea!

Wouldn't it be nice if Dish could add a squish mode to their HD display settings... so that when we are watching TNTHD or something similar that is stretching a 4:3 to fit 16x9, we could choose to mash it back and get gray sidebars or something to watch in OAR.

People who like stretchovision can still watch it that way... but we could squish it back and get advantage of the better upconvert picture quality without the distorted wide people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.