1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel selection defaults to HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rf008, Nov 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rf008

rf008 New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    All of my equipment is SD. Local channels recently became available, but had to install H20-600C-R receivers (HD) to get them. This has ruined Sunday Ticket for me because I can't use PREV channel to switch between games. When PREV is pressed, I get the nasty gram that says I'm not authorized. (Because it defaults to the HD channel?) Same problem if the channel number is entered from the numeric key pad. Have to enter the channel number then CHAN UP, CHAN DOWN to select the SD version.

DTV support helped me set up a custom Guide that didn't show the HD channels, but that only reduces the guide clutter. No change in channel selection logic. (The HD channel is still available for the receiver to select.)

I'll give up local channels and go back to cable, if I'm stuck with this nightmare. I'm NOT willing to enter the channel number, press GUIDE, and select the SD channel.

Am I missing something simple here? Is there a different receiver that will work?

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    First off :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com!

Secondly no, unfortunately you're entirely correct. Except that the H20 is an HD receiver. You, like me, are in what we call an MPEG4 local market. That means that our locals all come from a Ka [or HD] sat. Therefore, in order to receive locals you must have all HD equipment. Even though you don't have HD service on the account, you do have an HD receiver.
    The problem you're having is related to the receiver's software [hasn't been fixed since this became an issue last summer] isn't capable of realizing that you don't have HD service (any receiver newer than an H20 does). So when you enter a channel number, or use the PREV function, it changes to the HD channel. If I were you, I wouldn't put up with it either. I'd call and demand a new receiver.

3. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    You could call dtv and get free hd for 24 months.

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Also a great idea.

The H20 will definitely die in 2 years, then you can get a new box :lol:

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I thought that you could set it to hide HD duplicates, and that it would then act as if the HD channels weren't there. Have you tried that?

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I was thinking the same thing as I don't get SD Channels when I Channel Up or Down so if he Selected Hide the HD Channels he shouldn't get those HD Channels when he changes channels.

7. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Like I said, you can do that on any HD receiver newer than an H20.

8. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Sorry, missed that the first time through. I didn't realize that the H20 didn't have that feature.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    cant remember if this will work on your unit, but hit the yellow button while watching a channel. Then hit select (view previous Chanel then select the one you want. Similar to previous channels button, but I think it is more particular, and can hold onto multiple channels in stead of just one, handy if your a ST sub...

Also, assuming your watching all the games in the 700 range, try using the one line guide to surf between them.. its the blue button..

10. rf008

rf008 New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks for the help. I'll try replacing the H20 receivers with a newer model.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Would be cheaper to just add HD Access then get new receivers. HD channels look better than SD even on SD TV's anyways.

12. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Since it was not touched on at all in his origional post; is the OP of this thread required to have an HD dish to pick up some or all of his locals in mpeg4? If they are located on 99 or 103 and he doesn't have a ka/ku dish, this will result in not getting the ones located on those sats no matter if he has an HD receiver or not weather hd service is active or not for that matter.
    If a ka/ku HD dish is required to receive his local market; then that too has to be given and installed for FREE as well!

As mentiponed an existing customer can receive HD access for free for a term of 24 mths by simply requesting it and signing up for the auto bill-pay option.

13. rf008

rf008 New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    DirecTV will not replace the H20's because they have no control over the receiver model that is shipped. Never got a free HD for 2-years offer, probably because I've had service since '95.. I ended up going back to my original SD receivers (D12's) and giving up local channels. Luckily I still had the D12's.

I don't think they can ship an SD reciever to a location that requires an HD receiver for local channels, even if you are not ordering local channels. Interesting that they can implement that but not exclude H20's that don't work in that market.

As stated in other posts, the problem with the H20 is that there is no setup option to HIDE HD DUPLICATES (only an option to HIDE SD DUPLICATES). Later models include the HIDE HD DUPLICATES option.

Thanks again for all of the help.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Try again. Ask them if you can order a receiver from another source and get credit for it on your bill. Their all-receivers-are-the-same shipping system does stink in situations like this.

15. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I just checked and my HR20-700 has the ability to hide either HD or SD duplicates. I'm surprised that the -600 doesn't also.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    His is a non-DVR (H20), not the HR20 series.

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Call them again and tell them that you would be interested in signing up for auto-bill pay if they give you free HD Access for 2 years. That is the current offer that pretty much anyone can get.

Otherwise you can just tell them that your H20 is broken and have them replace it and take your chances that the replacement will be a newer H21, H23, or H24 (the chances are pretty good since I think they have pretty much stopped refurbing the H20).