1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channels appearing twice on my HD receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sportflyer, Feb 13, 2013.

1. sportflyer

sportflyer Mentor

Dec 4, 2011
    A strange problem cropped up. In my bedroom receiver ( HD only no DVR) I am getting 2 listings for the same channel... once for HD and another with no HD appended ex. channel 204 would show up twice ...once as HLNHD followed by HLN . This will happen for all channels that have both HD and SD. This does not happen on my main DVR HD receiver. I am wondering whether this is because I added "all channels I get" to my Custom 1 for the bedroom receiver ? How to fix this ? Thanks

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Try this:

Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Display, Preferences, Guide HD Channels: Hide SD duplicates

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Go into Settings & Help hen Settings. Then select Display and then Preferences. Change Guide HD Channels to Hide SD Duplicates.

4. sportflyer

sportflyer Mentor

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks guys. It work as you all suggested.

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    and for folks having a slight dish misalignment problem resulting in loss of HD channels, turn the SD duplicates on until you (or D*) can get the aim on your dish tuned up

I've done that trick for several clients (over the phone) if I couldn't get there to fix it right away.

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Also works in heavy, heavy rain when HD goes out. SD stays on longer. Did that for a out an hour during a hurricane last year during the biggest downpour.

7. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Good tip. Thanx.

8. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    A reminder that this does NOT work for local channels in MPEG4 local markets - since obviously they are ONLY put up on Ka (HD) band... ;)

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Am I the only person who prefers to keep the HD and SD showing in the guide? I have a favorites list set up and only have a few of the HD/SD repeat channels in it: the local MY channel's HD feed has HORRIBLE audio (not Directv's fault, it actually sounds better than it does OTA) so I use the SD. I can't watch Family Guy all stretched out, so TBS and Cartoon SD and HD are both in there. The Weather Channel SD is there for the rare storms that knock the HD feed of it out. There are 1 or 2 others that I don't use often.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have SD duplicates showing on a couple of my units, and not on others. I do sometimes access them. It is nice to have the choice to show or not show them.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Whatever works for you. The few times I need them, I turn them on. Hasn't happened but twice in years. One hurricanes, other when HD locals went down. As for stretching, you can hold down exit key and switch to SD. Then my TV allows me it unstretch. But there is almost nothing I watch that is stretched anymore.