1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

channels look weird.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by scarface458, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scarface458

scarface458 New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    well i have a sony xbr3 bravia, i just got my hd dvr box,its silver box. i dnt know the box number. i just had a question,when i see certain channels they look really weird. like i have cinemax n it says available in hd where available n it dnt show in hd. i have the package that has all that channels for like $99 something like that. another thing i notice in movies n programs that when you put that guide on on the lil box to the corner the show or whatever is on look 100 times better. its there any way to get it to look like that or maybe settings i have to press i use that format 480p,720p n 1080i n i dnt see no difference ,is it cuz i have an hdtv n the channel am watching is not hi def.?? help me out n do i have to calibrate the tv differently with the dvr ? i have it hook up through an hdmi cable

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :welcome_s to the forum.

I have the XBR2 which looks great [outstanding].
    Cinimax isn't in HD [yet] so you are looking at SD.
    Starz isn't in HD either [yet].
    I use native "on" and have 480p, 720p, & 1080i all checked under the TV resolutions in the setup menu. I have my TV set to "full" and use pillarbox for most of the SD programing. If the SD is in letterbox, I'll change to crop and it looks great.
    SD will never look as good a HD. Most of the HD channels are all below channel 100.

3. scarface458

scarface458 New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    well i figure i can at least watch tv like i use to on the old box n my 32"inch tv now hat i upgraded the pic on regular channels look worst, i would like to see it like when i press the guide button that be nice n then hd just like hd better.did you get your xbr2 calibrated did it make a difference on the sd channels?

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I used my "eye" to adjust the TV, like I have been doing for the past thirty years.
    I guess I need to get some idea of what "looks worse" in your eye. Picture quality is so subjective. What looks good to one person may not to another.
    There are so many adjustments on both the HR-20 & the Sony, that maybe you have yours connected or set someway different. The HR-20 & the XBR2 can [do] work very well "right out of the box" for me with no more than what are "normal" [user menu] setting or adjustments.
    The bigger an SD image is the worse it will look, you really can get around the lack of pixels, but my 46" looks better than my 27" [old Sony] on an SD channel, so I find it hard to think your old box & your 32" would look better than your new setup.
    What are your connections, what settings are you using, etc.
    If you can give me some of this [the more the better] I can see what is different than mine.

5. boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    Hey, we can form our own XBR club now. Welcome.

Try these calibration settings; they're working well for me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10666987&&#post10666987

[​IMG]

BJ

6. scarface458

scarface458 New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    well i think thats wat it is,i have an 46" maybe not use to that big of a tv. also am sitting about 7ft from it my room is not that big an i have this monster in here,lol. well my connections is through hdmi thats it i put native on now,thats about it.i dnt know is just the pic look so good when i put on the guide it reminded me of how it use to look especially watching movies.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm 10' from mine, and when I get "up close" even HD looks bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.