1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charleston WV Locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by brykc14, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Does anyone know where I can get the list of local channels that will be added June 24th for the Charleston WV area

2. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    Check out the Charlie Chat at 6 PT tonight. He should talk about it.

-A- Here's a good question. Why does the Charlie Chat go on the same time Monday Night RAW does? Oh well, thank goodness for TSN on Expressvu.

3. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Wrong forum. I believe that Charleston WV locals do go live soon on d* though.

4. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Yes we get Charleston WV locals on June 24th. on Directv.
    But im trying to find the channel lineup to see if the are adding all the channels or if some will be missing

5. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    Oh, sorry. I didn't see it was DirecTV. I guess I should check those headers more often. :)

-A-

6. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    To give you an idea of what you might expect Dish Network currently has 3 WSAZ NBC, 8 WCHS ABC, 11, WVAH FOX, 13 WOWK CBS, 25 WKAS, 30 WHCP WB, 33 WPBY PBS, 42 WPBO (25 and/or 42 may be KETD).

7. TimL

TimL Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    WPBO 42 is operated by Ohio State University while WKAS 25 is apparently Kentucky Educational Television..33 WPBY is West Virginia Public Broadcasting..Nice to have 3 PBS stations there..

Tim Lones

8. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Thanks... I did email several of the stations and ask them if their station would be carried. Ive only got a reply from one so far.

"All the stations in the Charleston-Huntington market will be offered by DirecTV,
    including WCHS-TV8 and WVAH Fox11."

That was from Michael Hooper
    WCHS-TV8/WVAH Fox 11

Im really interented in seeing if WB or UPn will be offered because those are the 2 channels I dont have right now. And that has been my only flaw with having Directv. So hopefully they will carry WHCP WB since Dish is.

9. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    WB-UPN: WHCP, which is channel 30 in Portsmouth, Ohio (a good 40 miles west of Huntington, 90 of Charleston) is a joint WB-UPN affiliate. It carries the WB schedule at the correct time (8-10) and then the 9:00 UPN show at 10:00, and the 8:00 UPN show at 11:00, with a repeat of Star Trek on Saturdays, when WB is not on. It has low power repeaters in Charleston (ch. 57) and Huntington (ch 45) , but it is very difficult to receive. It is my primary want out of the locals project. It they don't include it, they can forget it.

Its better than nothing, which is what we had before this station went on the air, but its a shame that this market is the second largest w/o both a UPN and WB channel.

PBS: All Kentucky PBS affiliates are the really the same channel, and the Portsmouth PBS station is really a repeater of the Columbus PBS channel. As such, both are already in the system and are a simple remap.

As a bonus for our friends in Pittsburgh, the WV PBS station is also statewide and since its full power in Morgantown, its eligiable for inclusion in that package. It has been unable to get a good signal to the Pittsburgh LRF, but certainly can in Huntington, and be remaped.

Also, remember that the market has full-power affilates of Daystar and Pax. DISH does not carry these, because they have a deal with the network, but I think DirecTV has to.

10. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Thanks alot.
    And yes it is a shame the they dont have there own WB and UPN network. Ive never really understood that. I think someone would make a killing, if the got some money together and started one up.

11. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The reason somebody doesn't start one up? Because the FCC only allows so many TV stations per market.

Long ago, before there was a Fox, let alone a UPN or WB, channel 61 was launched and then proceded to go broke as an old movie and rerun station in a few months. It then fell under the control of a lady we all call "Maybelene Millionaire", who converted it to a religious station. It ran for 25 years on a contious "beg-o-thon" crying for money to stay on the air, so it could cry for more money, and so on and so on and so on.

Mrs. Millionaire grew old at the station and last year she sold it to the Daystar people, with a "perpetual agreement" that is "forever" remain a religious station. For MILLIONS of $$. The FCC approved it. Think of that, the FCC approved an agreement tying a COMMERCIAL station to a particular format, forever, no matter what the needs and wants of the community in the far future. Nothing in the law permits such an agreement.

BTW, Mrs. Millionaire owns the B*g S***y S***r S***e furnature chain. Do not shop there.

Then the new channel 29 was launched. It was tied up in court on a "minority allotment" and then bankruptcy for almost two decades. The eventual owner owned it for all of three days, before selling it to the Pax chain, where it simulcasts the worthless Pax offerings already on cable/DBS.

Then all three states demanded a PBS allotment, which are 90% the same.

So out of 10 full power station, we end up missing one of the major networks, but we get PBS X 3 and Maybelene Millionaire.

12. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Well I guess that answer are question about why theres no WB or UPN. Thanks for the post

13. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I would agree with this. It would be really nice to have a seperate UPN and WB affiliates but the one channel suffices. WB is one of my favorite stations. I has the SuperStations all along before the locals were added and decided to keep them particularly if I went travelling I could still pick up WB and UPN on the smaller dish instead of needing the SuperDish.

14. BigGsWorld

BigGsWorld New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    [
    I don't understand why that would bother you... She put in the effort and got paid for her time. How does that affect you?

I should think that regular contract law would allow it. You're allowed to make a contract for as long as you want. Should the regulatory environment change, then it could render your previous agreement null... An illegal contract has no weight in law.

For example, if they were to outlaw the democratic party, then a contract requiring you to be one would be voided. You can not have an illegal contract with the force of law behind it. This is one area where law actually makes sense.

Why? They have decent stuff at decent prices. I bought a dishwasher and clothes washer/dryer from them, and I'm more happy with them than my DirecTV system right now.

I don't understand why this bothers you.

Don't care much for pax tv. But then I just change the channel. Or if I find it really obnoxious, I take it out of my channel rotation. I do that with all the home shopping channels. My mother-in-law, however, loves HSN. That's fine with me.

Some people like it. That's why it's there.

Did you notice that you spent more time complaining about 1 station than the other 3? It seems like it would be more useful to eliminate one of the 3 nearly duplicate stations than to remove one that has consistent viewership.

I happen to like WTSF ok. One of the reasons I bought the DirecTV system was to get Trinity Broadcasting Network, as my cable company doesn't carry it. (Armstrong)

-G

15. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah I agree about the PBS. I think that where the problem lies. Theres no reason to have 3 PBS stations, one is enough.

16. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    As reflected in the ratings, 1981 (WTSF launch date) to date, WTSF has NEVER received even a 1.0 rating, ever.

"Just change the channel" is great advice. Which channel would I turn to to find UPN?

Oh, thats right, Maybelene Millionaire has FOREVER tied up one of the LIMITED number of channels in this market for her beg-o-thon scams. I can't change the channel, because this crew has tied up one-sixth of the commercial bandwidth for gabage nobody watches.

If this market had an unlimited number of channels, and if DBS were not burdened by stupid must-carry laws that tie up prescious bandwidth for garbage nobody watches, then I would not say one word about WTSF. But it does not. We have six channels. This garbage is limiting my viewer choice.

BTW, did you be sure to give Mrs. Millionaire her money during the last beg-o-thon, so she could fight that evil big government plot to pull her off the air. You know the one, the one she held AFTER she had alredy sold her station, a commercial venture (not a charity) to Daystar (also a commercial venture, not a charity).

I wouldn't shop at B*g S***y if they were selling $5 bills for 10c each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.