1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Chat notebook, June 9, 2008

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by FTA Michael, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 9, 2008 #1 of 95
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Reporter's notebook for the Charlie Chat, June 9, 2008

Opening voiceover: The Magic Number is 100, 100 national channels and 100 local markets in HD

Full 1:20 of intros

Charlie Ergen joined by Eric Sahl (VP, programming). They say that Jim DeFranco's father is ill.

This year's Olympics will have more HD than ever before. (of course)

(Keep these numbers handy for next time)
    1-888-621-2078 to ask questions
    or charliechat@dishnetwork.com

Trivia contest prizes:
    Custom fishing setup, valued at $1500, question: Name three hosts of the World Fishing Network HD
    Contest number 1-888-662-3474

Montage of 22 HD channels launched in last six weeks, taking total number to over 80

About Voom, Charlie said, "We helped start Voom in the early days, and we own 20% of the network, but they had some obligations that they had to do to improve the network, and they didn't live up to those obligations. And we're not in the management of Voom, so because of that we took the channels off the air. We offered quite a bit in terms of negotiations, in terms of other channels or other things we could do with Voom, maybe consolidate some of the channels down and get to a more workable number, a little less of the repeats and so forth, but that wasn't acceptable to Voom.
    "And so, to make a long story short, they're no longer on the air. We're not having any discussions with them; in fact, we're in litigation with them - a judge has ruled that they're not likely to prevail in anything so far, and that's where we stand today.
    "Obviously, as an owner of the company, we'd like to see it be successful and we'd like to see it be programming that our customers want, our customers like, and our customers see value in. But we can't be in a situation where our customers are having to pay for things that aren't what we bargained for or what we think is competitive in the marketplace. And that's the situation.
    "So that's where we are today. At this point, I'm not optimistic that Voom will be back on the air or in any form, but we're always open to talk, other than to lawyers. Sometimes because of the lawyers, sometimes professional business people have discussions, but so far, that's the route that they've chosen."

Eric quickly adds, "The good news is, Charlie, we continue to add HD channels every day." Announcing WGN America in HD this week.

Eric pitches HD upgrade choices. Charlie elaborates.

Eric talked with Jim Lampley about the Olympics in a taped segment. Eric showed some hard-to-pronounce names of athletes and asked Jim to read them correctly.

NBC channels will carry over 1600 hours of coverage, over 800 hours in HD. Plus extra dedicated Olympics channels on Dish NBC Olympic Showcase.

New HD markets include: Buffalo NY, Burlington VT, Ft Myers FL, Greensboro NC, Greenville SC, Hartford CT, Huntsville AL, Jackson MS, Knoxville TN, Mobile AL, Norfolk VA, Providence RI, Portland ME. Now 59 markets, 67% of US TV households.

Additional individual HD channels added on Seattle (KCPQ), Sacramento (KXTL), Chicago (WGN9), New York (WPIX), and Hartford (WTIC).

Upcoming HD locals launches - June 19th, Grand Rapids MI and Memphis TN
    More in "Summer/Fall"
    by end of the year, 100 HD markets, 90% of US TV households

Clip of Buffalo TV stations happy about being in HD on Dish. One warns that HD shows lines on newsfolks' faces.

Charlie: "We don't do this chat in HD yet. We don't even use makeup here. (pause) I know DeFranco does use a little makeup."

Upgrade offers for (HD) MPEG2 receivers available. "By the end of the summer, MPEG2's going to be turned off."

Upgrade to a DVR. Card still shows the slogan, "Better than Tivo!" (No other TiVo mention on this Chat.)

A special look at the World Fishing Network in HD. WFN host Charlie Moore in studio.

Emails:
    * Any plans to add Discovery Planet Green? (It's already there, just a name change.)
    * Do you carry USA HD and SciFi HD? (Why yes, we do.)
    * How can I get internet service? (Go to www.dishnetwork.com and look in products for internet/phone options.)
    Charlie adds that ViP receivers have an internet connection (was that the question?) and you can use it today to download TV shows and movies. About 100,000 customers are "playing around with it" now, and it's "gets better and better".

Callers:
    * How does Dish negotiate SD vs. HD versions of channels? (Always difficult, it's always about money, always about the package. Over time, you build relationships, they become partners. "It's easy to do a deal when we pay people what they ask for. It's difficult to do a deal when we pay a fair rate.")
    * KTLA and KCAL in HD? (Will be able to go past big four network channels in Los Angeles market hopefully by the end of the year. New satellite by the end of the year will provide more capacity.)
    * DTVPal converter box available when? ($59.99, June 19; $39.99 box should be available later. $9.99/month locals-only Dish package currently available.)

ClubDish promo card.
    Dish Home Advantage promo card.

* Peachtree TV Atlanta not on Dish? (Close to deal with Turner "very soon")

Emails:
    * When add Hartford locals? (HD on May 8.)
    * When add Versus? (Been there a long time, name change, y'know)

Charlie describes what red/green channels mean in the guide, how to use lists.

Premiere of latest Matthew Broderick comedy will be on Dish.
    Previews of other PPV movies, boxing match, soccer.
    Preview of US Open golf matrix, to be on Channel 100.
    Ditto for Wimbledon tennis.

International
    KBS World is now free to AT100 or higher with no special equipment.
    June 18-July 2, free preview of Dream 2 Channel 769.
    Launched Star India Plus, Star India One, Euro channel.

Eric talks with CNN's Wolf Blitzen in taped interview.

Trivia winners announced

Next Tech Forum Aug 11
    Next Charlie Chat Sept. 8

That's all the time we have.

2. Jun 9, 2008 #2 of 95
    space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
    WGN America this week very good progress.

3. Jun 9, 2008 #3 of 95
    DJ Lon

DJ Lon Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    Thx 4 the recap, Michael! :)

4. Jun 9, 2008 #4 of 95
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    When you say "MPEG2's going to be turned off." - what precisely do you mean ?
    HD only ? All MPEG2 ?

5. Jun 9, 2008 #5 of 95
    DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    He has to be talking about HD. They can't just shut off SD MPEG2 for everyone without warning them farther in advanced. That would be a lot of hardware to swap out.

6. Jun 9, 2008 #6 of 95
    JackDobiash

JackDobiash Legend

Jul 20, 2005
    Yeah, I hope for now they are referring to HD only.... that would be a LOT of receivers to change out otherwise, wouldn't it? Are there any SD receivers now that can decode MPEG4?

7. Jun 9, 2008 #7 of 95
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    That's why I want some clarification...
    If it's just DVRs...

8. Jun 9, 2008 #8 of 95
    nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    Nope, there are currently zero SD receivers that can decode MPEG 4. I have heard that some folks on this forum or another forum that they have seen their HD receivers (211 and 622 most notably) switch to SD only mode after various power glitches and have their model number reflect it. So it seems that Dish has a way of changing some of their MPEG 4 receivers into SD only receivers via software, which is a good thing. This way they can maintain just one set of hardware and enable HD only for the customers that pay for it.

9. Jun 9, 2008 #9 of 95
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    MPEG2 discussion was all HD. I added a note to the notes.

10. peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    Regarding VOOM, Charlie says:
    So they pulled VOOM for our own good. Having this done on our behalf was nice but it would've even been nicer to get our input on it first.
    What really irked me though was throwing WFN in our faces like we were really getting something special with that addition. Not. However, I was placated by the announcement that Grand Rapids locals will be coming on June 19.

11. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Was a date mentioned for KXTL Sacramento?

12. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks Michael

13. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    Yes indeed! I was especially impressed by Mr. WFN! :) Looked to me like Charlie was too. :lol:

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No word when the World Fishing Network would actually *BE* a HD channel ... :rolleyes:

I can't believe they spent so much time on the worst HD on their system.
    Good to have some mention of Voom ... and announcement of WGN America HD.
    And yet another list of HD locals releases for "summer" (which starts in 10 days).

15. grog

grog Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    I was going to post something but in the end it is not worth it. :mad:

Enjoy WFN all.

Bye!

16. julesism

julesism Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    +1 on the WFN-HD nonsense... :nono2:

17. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Does the addition of WPIX in HD mean that Superstation package subscribers and those that get WPIX for CW in their local package will get the HD channel as well with an HD receiver?

18. Bobby H

Bobby H Legend

Mar 23, 2008
    Will the WGA America HD channel be available to those with the DishHD package? Or will that require a AT100 through AT250 + superstations option?

Little disappointed to hear some of the local markets already uplinked for over 2 months are going to be pushed back likely until the fall.

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm sure many of us have gone or do go fishin'. I'm also sure many of us have played or do play ping pong. According to Wikipedia:
    Wow, looking at the Wikipedia entry it appears one could devote a channel to ping pong (also known as "table tennis"), get it carried in HD on Dish, and discuss it in a Charlie Chat.

Good grief....

Thanks for the report. I do appreciate not having to watch it.:)

20. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    First a humble apology to HDME for arbitrarily copying his post here without his permission.

He posted this on the now-dead CC thread amid a cackle of noise about tonight's CC. I do it because I think it is on the mark. As much as I disdain CC's, I have to agree with this post.

HDME is a straight shooter in my book ... regardless of the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.