1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Chat Summary - September 11th, 2006

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Charlie Chat Summary - September 11th, 2006
    Charlie Chat Hosted by
    DISH Network Founder, Chairman and CEO, Charlie Ergen and
    Co-founder Jim DeFranco, Senior Executive Vice President.

Eric Sahl, Senior VP, with Cathy Riva "Party Girl" from Discovery Home kick off the show ...
    Everyone is in football garb ...

Trip to the Pro Bowl is being given away live on the chat.
    (Tickets of two plus airfare and hotel for four nights - Feb 8-12, 2007).
    Registration ended at 9:00pm EDT ... Winner below.

They have NFL Network in their most basic package! [JL Note: AT60 or above, actually]

Eric Sahl on the Patio with Cathy Riva
    Out grilling in the rain ... talking about the "Party Girl" program weekends on Discovery Home.
    Discovery Home available in AT180 / DishHD Gold and above.

Programming Update: September
    ESPN GamePlan PPV Package ...$129.00 or 3 payments of $43.00 click here
    REELZ Channel ... talking about movies ... Available September 27th in AT60 / DishHD Bronze / DishLATINO Max and higher - Channel 299
    Food Channel HD ... Launched August 16th ... DishHD Bronze and above on Channel 9462
    Preview Showroom - channels 281-288
    Includes The Tennis Channel now through Oct 4th on Channel 288 (normally AT180 Channel 400)
    Family PPV Movies on Channel 532 ... Five viewers of these movies will win "fun games and prizes" click here

Programming Update: October
    Showtime Free Preview - October 6-9
    HBO Free Preview - October 19-23
    Cinemax Free Preview - October 26-30
    Four weeks of AT120/180 and DishLatino Channels - October 5 to November 1st [on slide but not mentioned]

"Denver Broncos" video pushing Dish HD - twice the channels of any national provider - NFL Network HD

Upgrade Offers (Same as before - no expiration date given)
    $100 rebate ($10 for 10 months) for new DishHD subscribers contines rebate form
    For former HDPack or new customers.

$99.00 upgrade to ViP-211 receiver - $199.99 upgrade to ViP-622 DVR Receiver

811 or 6000 -> ViP-211 ... $49.00 less $100 rebate = They pay you $51
    921 or 942 -> ViP-622 ... $199.99 less $100 rebate less $100 credit for returning 921/942 = $0
    These are LEASE deals ... you will not own the ViP receiver!

Club Dish
    Refer a friend - get $50 ($5 for 10 months) plus 5 free PPVs and free DishMOVER (if you move)
    Friend gets Free activation (instead of $49) - click here to request cards

NFL Network - Channel 154 / NFL HD - Channel 9426 (AT60 or DishHD Bronze or Higher)
    Free preview on channel 287. 50 Pre-Season games. Two live games per week (Thursday/Saturday) starting Thanksgiving.
    NFL: Sunday on CBS and FOX, Sunday Night on NBC, Monday Night on ESPN
    College Football: ESPNU CH 148 (AT180), CSTV CH 152 (AT120), DISH Home CH 100 (TBS games), your locals

DIY Network Contest
    DIY free on Channel 284 (win an Airstream and $10,000)

Questions
    Q: Adrian and Darren - Concerned about losing DVR capability (Tivo Lawsuit)
    A: Appeals court said we infringed but found errors in the trial and have blocked the judgement, so far.
    Nobody is in danger today of losing the DVR capability ... more than 1000 engineers - we invented DVRs.
    We can work around whatever Tivo is complaining about.

Firsts:
    * First Company to offer a satellite receiver for less than $200
    * First to develop a UHF remote control
    * First to offer an Integrated Receiver Descrambler (IRD) of C-band satellite TV
    * First nationwide installation network dedicated solely to satellite TV systems
    * First to offer satellite receiver with built-in digital video recording
    * First satellite TV company to offer local channels to local markets in all 50 states
    * First to offer an MPEG4 multi-room high definition and digital video recorder satellite receiver
    * First pay-TV provider to offer a pre-paid television platform, "DishNOW!" - 12/31/05
    * DISH Player-DVR 942, the first ever multi-room sarellite TV HD DVR 1/06/05
    * DISH Network Pro 301-first in new series of satellite television receivers - 1/8/01
    * World's first and only 500 channel satellite TV system - 7/19/99

Tech Forum next month ... Proud of our engineers.

Q: Jennifer - Internet via satellite ... when?
    A: Wildblue is rolling out in late October. (October 19th via retailers, November 15th via Echostar direct)

Q: Chris - Logo Channel? (Viacom channel)
    A: (Eric) No deal yet, we're talking Logo, HD and other services with Viacom -- hoping to 'strike a deal fairly soon'.

Process on all new channels:
    Does the channel fit the needs of our customers?
    Do we have capacity on our satellites?
    Can we strike a fair deal?

NFL Network and Oxygen were heavily requested and added this year. Demand is not as high for any other channel.

Q: Dale in VA - Distant Networks ... Will I lose those channels?
    A: Distant networks are not local channels - 95% of America can get their own locals. Law was unclear - after an eight and a half year court battle they "may" have to turn off distants - we have an agrement with all networks but one.
    We will let you know on another Charlie Chat if it comes to removing distant channels.

Contest - Dish Network "Ultimate Football Fan"
    Break the Gunness World Record for watching TV the longest.
    Eyes on TV at all times - 5 minute breaks per hour (can be accrued) - May eat and drink w/scheduled restroom breaks.

Guest: Reggie Rivers former NFL running back who will MC the contest.

One winner from eight cities will be flown to Denver for the competition.
    Lots of prizes including a HDTV, a lazyboy chair and a year of DishHD Bronze.

Questions
    Q: Willy - SuperDish 322 subscriber wants a 522.
    A: You really want a 625 ... larger hard drive ... give us a call and we will tell you how much.

Eric Sahl
    Behind the scenes at NFL Network Total Access.

Eric Sahl and Cathy Riva
    Cooking in the rain recap - More barbeque tips http://www.discoveryhome.com/outdoorparty/partygirl

Pro Bowl Winner
    Stephen King - Colorado Springs, CO - Customer since 1997

Next Tech Forum: November 13, 2006 - 9pm ET
    Next Charlie Chat: December 11, 2006 - 9pm ET

More information on Charlie Chats and Tech Forums available here on the DishNetwork Website.
    Rebroadcast Times (on Channels 101, 490 and 580):
    Thursday, September 14th, 9pm ET
    Saturday, September 16th, 5am
    Sunday, September 17th, 5am & 7pm
    Monday, September 18th, 9pm
    Thursday, September 21st, 9pm ET
    Saturday, September 23rd, 5am
    Sunday, September 24th, 5am & 7pm
    Monday, September 25th, 9pm
    Thursday, September 28th, 9pm ET

2. vinobabu

vinobabu Mentor

Mar 13, 2006
    Thanks for the recap , James.

3. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Glad to be of service ...

For reference, the $10 for 10 month rebate form has the offer "ending 1/31/07" for both new customers and existing customers who upgrade to a new DishHD package.

What isn't mentioned above (or on the chat) is inHD service (today the FCC dismissed a complaint filed by E* at E*'s request - this may open the path to carry the channel), RSNs in HD (previously mentioned as "very very soon") and the new local markets uplinked (as part of the distants settlement).

They did mention the distants lawsuit and Tivo lawsuits (as noted above). Charlie was very positive about keeping DVR service regardless of the Tivo outcome and promised another chat if distants needed to be removed.

4. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    Anticipating the inevitable question, Setanta Sports USA channel was not mentioned (it might have seemed odd juxtaposed with the heavy NFL emphasis).

To clarify further on the DVR suit issue, Charlie implied that if, at the end of the process, they were found guilty of violating TiVo's software patents, then they would simply download new software to all affected DVRs that would not be infringing. He also hinted that they might already have started on that process irregardless of the outcome.

They also think it likely that the Pro Bowl winner is not the famous author. :)

5. zmark

zmark Legend

Apr 17, 2005
    The only way they could do this is by removing functionality from the DVRs, which is exactly what Tivo wants them to do. Well, actually Tivo wants a big fat licensing agreement, but barring that, Tivo would want the DVRs neutered.

6. RobR7

RobR7 AllStar

Jan 22, 2006
    Jeez... what a lame set of questions... hard to believe they weren't screened for ones with prepared answers (dvrs/distants)... nothing about PQ, upcoming HDs...

7. zmark

zmark Legend

Apr 17, 2005
    Who's to say these are actually customer calls to begin with; they could all be just employees calling in. Does anyone know for sure?

8. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    I used to own a Series One TiVo, and I own a (now off-line) DishPlayer and currently use 501s (I live in an HD-free area).

From my use of the TiVo, my hunch is that the suit would revolve around the Name Based Recording concept.

While I know that many people like that feature, it is still heavily dependent on the accuracy of the listings, and so one still has to manually baby sit the whole process anyway, whether your timers are name based or not. So, if that is the basis of the suit, I don't think it is all that big a deal to remove it again.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The list of infringing receivers include those that did not have NBR at the time the suit was filed (including some that still don't have NBR). I wouldn't say that NBR is the key thing that Tivo is complaining about.

A combination of engineers and lawyers will figure something out. :D

Logo was mentioned and the reply could be applied to ALL requested channels ...
    Does the channel fit the needs of our customers? Do we have capacity on our satellites? Can we strike a fair deal? Is there enough demand? It sounded like the final question (is there demand) was "not enough to add the channel".

I suppose that illustrates the idea that a few people on a couple of forums can make a lot of noise and still not represent a majority of E* customers - or enough customers to add a channel.

10. Chris Walker

Chris Walker Legend

May 19, 2004
    E* pretty much carries everything now. I mean what's left, Logo and more religious channels? I can't imagine any one particular channel having much demand. I honestly can't think of one channel that I'd want E* to add.

11. SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks again James.

Couple comments for readers.

I'm glad to see Uncle Charlie still puting content in our homes and keeping us up to date on the releases of new content without ripping our shorts off. I was hoping to see the RSN HD channels unfold before this chat but hey, who am I to complain. One has to simply look at what we have now compared to the other cable and sat providers and understand we have it damn good.

12. Chris Walker

Chris Walker Legend

May 19, 2004
    I wonder how much NFL Network is paying E* to pimp their channel to the extent they are doing right now? All you see in E* ads is NFL NETWORK NFL NETWORK, and it's all they talk about for an hour tonight.

13. jakexxl

jakexxl Mentor

Nov 28, 2005
    Is this true?: "921 or 942 -> ViP-622 ... $199.99 less $100 rebate less $100 credit for returning 921/942 = $0"

From the rebate form for this deal, it seems like you had to have just added HD. In other words, if you already had a 942 and were getting an HD package before, and just upgraded to the ViP 622 and BronzeHD ... are you eligible for the $100 rebate (not the credit for returning, but the rebate)?

When filling out the rebate online, you are given the following options to select:
    (1) A first-time, new DISH Network customer who activated after 5/1/06
    or
    (2) A current DISH Network customer who recently added DishHD programming on or after 6/9/06

So I guess that's why I thought that was the case. I've had DishHD programming since last December, but I did upgrade to the ViP 622 and BronzeHD this summer.

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    While you may or may not get a CSR who understands this on the first call... The $100 ($10 for 10 months) rebate for signing up for new HD applies to new and existing customers as long as you are new to the "metal" packs. Charlie himself stated it clearly tonight that you could have the old HD offerings from Dish now (which is how you would have a 942 in the first place to upgrade to a new 622) and get the DishHD programming rebate as well as the optional rebate for returning your old DVR.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yep ... the $10 for 10 months is only for people new to DishHD.

That detail is at the beginning of the section on Upgrade Offers (with the link to the form).

16. richiephx

richiephx Godfather

Jan 18, 2006
    I find it hard to believe that channels are added based on what people want. No one has asked me if I wanted it :)...I wish E* would survey ALL their customers on what channels they actually watch and how often they watch it. I bet the result would be enlightening. I bet they could free up bandwidth and improve picture quality by eliminating channels that aren't supported by "critical mass", a term that Charlie used to use for adding new channels.

17. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Nice job James, thanks. =)

18. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Ditto Rob's post James.. Thanks for the recap. Since I was home getting over having 4 wisdom teeth pulled, I actually was trying to make it atleast to the chat but the meds and pain continue to keep my time online to a minimum.

KUDOS on making the effort to get a recap out quickly.

19. Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    It probably is just E* trying to stop the bleeding from people jumping over to D* for the NFL Sunday Ticket. IMO, this "I Want Football 24/7" stuff is rather misleading: "games every night of the week"? Only if you count repeats and "classic" games. I have spoken with dozens of D* customers who were trying to switch to E* because "they offer the NFL Sunday Ticket for only $24.99/month!" Yeah, right.

20. midwave

midwave Cool Member

Jun 20, 2004
    AmericanLifeTV...which has classic tv shows during primetime everynight, and not shown anywhere else, including the 1960s updated and color version of The Honeymooners, I Spy w/Robert Culp & Bill Cosby, and Harry O, which starred David Jansen of 'The Fugitive' fame.
    NFL Network, College Sports TV, ESPN News, FreeSpeech TV, ShopAtHomeNetwork, The Water Channel, G4, MTV and MTV2 could ALL be dropped and I'd never even notice....
    BUT...if i lose my DVR ability, I'm jumping to DirecTV in a heartbeat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.