1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Chat Tonight (8/23) 9pm

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Stewart Vernon, Aug 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Just to let everyone know... there is an oddly-scheduled Charlie Chat tonight at 9pm, channel 101.

Odd because usually these are at the first of a month, and not near the end... so not sure what is up for discussion, but maybe something interesting.

2. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Probably the agreement to add AMC HD, which people have been screaming for for all seasons of Mad Men.

Note DISH is first with this; DirecTV does not offer AMC HD.

3. kariato

kariato AllStar

Dec 16, 2002
  4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Hopefully, in addition to above, information about the Disney, PBS and Fuse disputes.

5. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    What happened to the ending?

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They hit the wall of previously scheduled programming. :D

Charlie: "Send us your paycheck each month." Priceless.
    Jim's suggestion that DISH network only costs 20 minutes of work per month? :eek2:

Most of the show was about NFL and college football. AMC was highlighted. And there was a cool preview of the DISHOnline.com upgrade launching tomorrow. Then lame answers to questions began and time elapsed. Perhaps on a replay they'll get the ending in. :)

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Wow on both counts!

I'm sorry I missed this one... but I was out eating dinner with family.

Those are some crazy quotes, even for a Charlie Chat!

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Who need to watch it and waste your time if it could be described by two phrases ?! :D

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I didn't record it and I'm sorry. Dish costs twenty minutes of work a month?

That's one-third of an hour. That isn't even remotely funny in this economy.

Let's assume for a moment that somehow you're getting Dish - package, receiver, etc. - for $40 a month. That's $120 an hour. Or $20,800 a month. Or $249,600 a year.

Hey, but maybe he can get it for half, $20 a month. (Yeah, sure!) Well, we all know they pay their CSR's and service techs $124,800 a year, right?

So I set a timer to record the replay. I have to see this one!:rolleyes:

10. RMichals

RMichals Legend

Sep 27, 2008
    yeah, Dumb & Dumber!

11. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Stewart,

I realize that this isn't a DVR forum, but I never thought I would see someone say that they would miss something because they were not home. :lol:

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The way Charlie Chats are listed in the EPG data one cannot set a recurring timer (although a Dish Pass might work, if one didn't mind getting all the repeats).

The replay runs longer that the original ... no 2008 VH1 special to cut it off. :)

13. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    A Once timer works... :)

Also a recurring timer for the repeat - New - gets the first repeat on a recurring basis. I caught the midnight or 1 AM first repeat with that timer.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, I know... and I even posted the reminder on the forum yesterday before going out!

But... on my main TV I had my DVR "booked" with other channel recordings... and it slipped my mind to set a timer on one of my other receivers.

15. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I had the same problem. I found a re-broadcast at midnight or 1:00AM and created a Timer for that all "New" episodes of the re-broadcast. It worked, and I assume it will work for the first re-broadcast of future Charlie Chats.

16. cloudy

cloudy Cool Member

Aug 15, 2010
    This is the fist time I've watched a full episode of the charlie chat, and I can now say without question, these guys have no concept of reality when it comes to the value of money.

Also Jim's says to get a 922, they'll charge a small fee. Well, I'm not exactly Poor. I make pretty good money, but I sure don't see $200 as a small fee.

Perhaps Charlie and Jim make more money than they can ever spend, and think most of their customers are in the same boat.

Also I liked the last question. Too bad I never heard the answer. Great timing guys.

17. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Agreed, plus i would guess most dish bills are about 100.00 per month so that would mean jim makes 300.00 per hour. :nono2:

18. cloudy

cloudy Cool Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Actually, considering how out of touch they are, Jim probably gets the everything pack with all extras, so his bill is probably closer to $150+.
    So that's what 450/hr?!?

19. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I suspect that isn't too far off his actual salary.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The average DISH customer pays $73.05.