1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Ergin is the most hated man in Hollywood

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dennispap, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1 of 31
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dish-networks-charlie-ergen-is-432288.

"His company has been labeled the "worst place to work in America," he's being sued by all four networks, and his ad-skipping Hopper could decimate TV industry economics as THR examines the troubling potential outcome of the entertainment business' ugliest fight."

2. Apr 3, 2013 #2 of 31
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Wow, that's quite the hit piece if I've ever seen one.

3. Apr 3, 2013 #3 of 31
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, it is quite a hit piece. They did get some things right, but not all.

But frankly I"m glad Charlie does what he does and how he does it most of the time.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #4 of 31
    ehilbert1

ehilbert1 Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    It's actually nice to have someone in charge that doesn't just bend over. It was a totally one sided piece but what do you expect?

5. Apr 3, 2013 #5 of 31
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To paraphrase the summation of their article...

It's all enough to ask if the Hollywood Reporter is the most hated organization in Hollywood, and if so what can be done about it?

:)

6. Apr 3, 2013 #6 of 31
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "This story first appeared in the April 12 (2012?)
    issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine."

7. Apr 3, 2013 #7 of 31
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I'm sure since a whole year has passed his popularity has probably soared in Hollywood since then! ;)

8. Apr 3, 2013 #8 of 31
    higginsll

higginsll New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Sounds like he must be doing something right if Hollywood hates him so much. Wear it like a Badge Of Honor.

9. Apr 3, 2013 #9 of 31
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
  10. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Wish I could afford to watch TV.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We need to pay more in retrans fees so stations can pay their engineers?

12. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    actually pretty amusing.

"Services [like Hopper] that undermine the economic fabric of our business aren't just illegal, they potentially destroy our ability to give the public what it wants," CBS chairman and CEO Leslie Moonves tells THR. Adds NBC Broadcasting chairman Ted Harbert, "I think this is an attack on our ecosystem."

What the public wants is less commercials. A no brainer.

I really don't get the "attack on our ecosystem" correlation.

Am I missing something here?:rolleyes:

13. TimCoh

TimCoh Cool Member

Dec 24, 2011
    The Elite Liberals in Hollywood want the pheasants to watch the commercials.

Who is John Galt?

14. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Ok, not sure why people don't see that retrans fees are related to people skipping commercials. Advertisers don't want to pay huge amounts if people are going to skip them. So networks can't charge as much for a spot, so to make up they run more spots. That doesn't make up the difference so they go for the retrans fees.

So if we want fewer commercials, we actually have to watch them (restrict skipping commercials), or move to a HBO model where we pay $12 a channel.

15. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Fact - Dish Network is a horrible place to work.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    More like $18 (or less) for 8 channels (with HBO being the most expensive premium package).

So is any distributor saving money on retrans fees by forcing their customers to view the commercials on their channels? Or are channel providers the type of businesses that want to force people to view commercials AND pay a monthly fee to view the channel?

If broadcasters want to worry they should worry about Aereo. I do not expect Aereo to win the final court battle, but if they do it redefines retransmission. I would love to see proof of Aereo's claim that each of their user has their own personal antenna and DVR entirely separate from every other user's antenna and DVR. Aereo has limited their legal exposure by only offering in-market retransmission ... but if the court sees them for what they are - a service that provides retransmission of broadcast signals - they will need to follow the rules that apply to cable/satellite/IPTV providers. (And if the court allows their form of retransmission the court will need to rule in such a way that does not destroy the cable/satellite retransmission laws.)

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Actually, retransmission fees need to be banned for broadcast stations. Once it leaves the tower, it should no longer be under their control.

Also sounds like Madison Avenue chimed in above.

18. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    ^Opinion.

I worked there too and its just as bad as any other place I've worked.
    Stupid people calling in constantly surely does suck but they cant be avoided at most work places :p

19. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Poor Hollywood. Poor TV networks. People are going to skip commercials. That's never happened before. Oh ya, maybe it's happened since the invention of the home VCR. Or the skip button on the DVR remote. Or maybe as far back as the invention of the TV remote control to allow changing the channel without getting off the couch.

20. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Well, I actually agree. Commercials are for the birds.