1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chattering internal drives.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rich, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A few weeks ago there were some questions about chattering HDD internal drives, mostly in the 20-700s. A couple days ago I hooked up a 20-700 that I hadn't been using in my living room. Today, while reading the paper, the noise from the internal drive got so bad that I hooked up a 1.5TB Seagate Cuda (which is about what you'd expect to find in a stock 20-700) in an MX-1 to the 20-700 and waited for it to boot up. That internal drive had been making so much noise I didn't really expect the external drive to help.

Wrong. Now you can hear nothing from the 20-700. If you have a chattering internal drive in one of your HRs, I would (and have, in the past, but I really didn't think it would work on this one) recommend putting an external drive on it.

Rich

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just a point of clarification.....
    If the noise from the internal drive is the sound of it failing(scratchy, etc..) adding an external will not fix it as the internal still spins when using an external drive.

3. namklak

namklak New Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Apparently, connecting an external drive bypasses operation of the internal drive. I can see why the the dvr might spin-up an internal drive when an ext drive is connected. But I can't believe all subsequent read/write commands are sent to both drives. If it did, all data would be on both drives, which it is not. So even though the internal drive may be spun-up, it is probably not doing all the seeks from the read/write commands. Therefor, it could be making less noise with an ext drive connected.
    Yes/no?
    -Bob

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Correct. Surely Yes.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I dunno, Bob. I've pretty much given up on why these things happen and I'm willing to blindly accept that doing X creates Y. Puzzling these things out just boggles my mind. If I had to answer your well put question, my answer would be yes.

For instance, look at all the posts about YouTube on the forum. First thing that crossed my mind when I read that it had been enabled was "why". I have many ways to access YouTube and I never do, but I got caught up in trying it out on the HRs. Now I'll just write that off as a first step towards something else, because I really doubt that anybody is gonna subscribe to D* just to get YouTube. There is obviously a deeper purpose.

Rich