1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheapest way to get an international channel (only)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by haridsv, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    We currently have basic cable only as we don't really watch the TV much., however I need to get a specific south Indian channel for about 6 months while my parents are here and I realize only Dish network has this option ($14.99/month). So far I found that I could avoid signing a contract as well as paying the installation charges if I could get a referral from any of my friends who already has Dish (confirmed by calling their sales). However, they said I would have to pay for the equipment (about $150) and that I would be given a credit of $5/month until the $150 is recovered (which would be 30 months). Since ideally, I would like to cancel after 6 months, I would have only recovered $30 (ending up costing $120 for the equipment), so I am wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. One alternative I was suggested by their sales is to get their Family package for 19.99/month, but in 6 months, I will end up paying $120 anyway and with any added taxes, it could be more (but still it might be a better option than simply paying for the equipment). What would be other alternatives? Things that come into mind are:
    - buy equipment cheaper elsewhere (if so, where and what type of equipment to buy).
    - start with a plan to get free equipment, but downgrade soon after that (not sure what the rules would be).
    I would appreciate any helpful information on this.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    For internationals, the dish and required multiswitch alone will cost $120 or more (Dish 500+ with DP34 switch to pick up 118.7). You would then need a receiver and the installation done, plus the programming. Any way you look at it, DishNetwork is going to take a big loss if you cancel after 6 months (they only make money because most people don't cancel), and they're asking you to bear some of those costs. It looks pretty reasonable to me.

3. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Thanks. I understand that someone has to bear the equipment cost, which is why I am looking at the alternatives such as buying it from fleabay (if it is ok with Dish of course). After all, I told the sales person about my intentions and that I would like to cancel service after 6 months, and he was fine with that (he said I would need to ship part of the equipment back), so it is not like I am trying to rip them off (at least not through the venues that they haven't provided themselves). Are you a Dish employee or a big time stock holder in Dish? If you are a new customer and dish runs a promotion in which they give away latest equipment for free with no contracts and no conditions, would you take the offer or feel sorry for them and still offer money?

I am a complete newbie to satellite equipment and thanks for pointing out the equipment needed, I hope it can be purchased elsewhere cheaper and check with Dish if it is acceptable with them (like BYOD service for voip phones).

4. manhole

manhole AllStar

Jun 9, 2006
    Why not get the family pack for $19.99 and cancel your basic cable? Last I checked basic cable where I live is around $15.

5. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    The basic cable covers the local channels, which is another $6 or so with Dish (for PBS Kids and a couple of other channels that we do watch), so it is really $26. Also, I am currently paying $4 for basic cable as a promotion when I added it on top of internet.

6. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    If own your equipment you can skip the basic package and pay a $6 access fee.

7. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    So, it would be $14.99 (for the international channel) + $6 / month? By basic package you don't mean the local channels, right?

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Correct. The basic package for E* (Echostar/Dish Network) is either DISH Family or AT100 (or above) or Dish Latino or the Great Wall Package. If one does not subscribe to a base package E* charges the $6 fee. The base packages do not include local channels (those are $5 extra).

The cheapest way to go is paying for the channel and the $6 access fee. You should be able to get the equipment pretty cheap on fleabay (depending on what channel you want - the dish varies). You might also want to check to make sure the channel isn't available "free to air" (which will only cost you the initial equipment but no monthly fee).

What is the name of the channel?

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Neither DISH nor Directv gives away free equipment they lease the equipment to you retaining ownership. DISH does still offer you the option to get equipment without a contract Directv has a minimum 18mo. contract.
    You already have a good offer at $120. Even if you can buy usable equipment from Ebay you still have to install it. Unless you feel like you know what you are doing you will need to pay someone to install your equipment.:)

10. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    You might check Craigslist in your area for a used receiver to avoid the e-bay shipping fees. This might make it cheaper still. When you're done you can resell it on craigslist for no listing fee, thereby reducing your cost.

11. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Interesting... then how are people ending up owning them and sell them on cragslist?

I am not really looking at the option of buying the whole equipment (including the dish) and installing it myself, but rather just the part that they would want me to send back after the cancellation. Since professional installation is free with referral, would it matter to them whether I lease part of it from them or bring my own at the time of installation? I am assuming that someone from Dish has to still come to install the dish on top of my house. The reason I have this impression is that the sales guy said that after cancellation, there is no need to return the dishes on the roof (and that the $150 is really being charged for the receiver alone). They seem to need only the receiver and (something else that I didn't catch). Or may be I am simplifying (or complicating, depending on how you look at it) this too much, and they mightn't after all provide installation for free. If someone could confirm that an installation that is supposed to be free with part or whole of the equipment owned by me is not possible then I will just stop wasting time.

12. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Yes, that is what I would like to do ideally, but if that means I have to pay for installation or do it myself, then I wouldn't consider this option.

13. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Especially in years past, Dish viewers had the option of purchasing their equipment. I bought my first receiver off the shelf at Sears. Such purchased equipment is okay to resell, and with all the newfangled features that are in demand these days, the used price of an old non-DVR, non-HD receiver isn't that high.

And for installation, it really isn't too hard to do it yourself. You can read how to do it and give it a shot yourself, then fall back to paying a local dealer if you just can't handle it.

14. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Are you referring to the installation inside the house or even the dish, when you say it isn't too hard? It is very windy up here during the summer and I have seen the dish fall off for a few folks, so I am kind of skeptical on how good of a job I can do myself. Are self-installing the whole thing or nothing the only options? Also, I have a new house and it might not be primed enough for a quick hookup.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A self install isn't trivial but it isn't hard. It all depends on the location, where you can place the dish and still see the right part of the sky, and what satellite you need to see. (Questions we can't answer without knowing the channel you want to view.)

The "easy" way out is to have someone else install it. Easy isn't always cheap. It will cost you some money with an installer or a commitment with the provider.

16. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Sorry, I missed to respond to an earlier question on the channel, and it is the channel Gemini.

The best way for me is a partial install, with the hard part installed by them saving me some money :)

Now to get an answer for my question on whether it is even possible to do this partial installation. If not, I would just not waste any more time on this. Thanks.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Gemini TV channel 799 on Dish from 118° is a challenge. The "normal" dish to receive this channel is a "Plus" dish ... Just setting up a dish to receive 118° ignoring other E* sats isn't easy since 118° is an odd satellite. It is "FSS" (a different band than normal DBS satellites) but has circular polarity (unlike most FSS satellites that are horizontal/vertical). Long story short - not typical parts. While you can search our forums and find people who have found the right non-Dish LNBs to set up a dish, a Dish 500 Plus would be the easiest to find and set up.

With your confidence level (no disrespect intended) it would probably be the best to call a local satellite installer ... not one of those 800 number guys who only does standard installs or resells E* installs but a real installer that leaves the beaten path. Calling E* for an install will cost you more money, since E* isn't going to make a lot off of you they certainly are not going to give you something for nothing.

If you have a reasonably clear view (no trees or buildings between you and the satellite) you might be able to set up a tripod mount in the yard. That would get the dish out of the wind and make it easier to take down in six months.

18. aegrotatio

aegrotatio Legend

Mar 27, 2006
    Hate to bump the thread but we did something similar.

We already had DirecTV but we wanted Chinese channels so we ordered Great Wall with Locals package from an online retailer. Then we added some extra channels to that package. The great thing about Great Wall is that you don't need AT100 or anything like that, but you CAN get your local channels for $6 and all the free previews and general-interest channels.

Our out-of-pocket expense for the hardware was $50. We have a 322 and a 625 DVR for 4 televisions (even though we only have 2 televisions). It included a DP34 switch and a SuperDiSH. At the time, the SuperDiSH alone would have cost $200. Today you will get the DiSH 500+ or 1000+ and a switch.

There was an 18-month committment for whatever the going rate was for the channels but again I didn't need AT100 or any basic packages. The Great Wall package qualifies as a basic package.

However, the service offering on DiSH was equivalent to DirecTV so we eventually dropped DirecTV and turned on the rest of the DiSH Network package.
    We have also been repointed to 118 with the SuperDiSH 121 repoint kit (which would have cost me another $100 but was free and didn't add to my committment).

You might consider that route.

19. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    For anyone who is still interested, this is what I did. I called them to ask a few more questions to finalize my decision, and the rep told me about a promotion to get $10 credit for first 10 months if the total is more than $30 (or $25, not sure) and have at least one international channel, so this makes the total $24.98 with a basic package and the Gemini channel, with no equipment fee and no contract or commitment. Since this is very comparable to the BYOD kind of service that I was considering ($14.99 +$6 access fees), I immediately signed up. Thanks to all who replied for helping me make this decision.

20. haridsv

haridsv Cool Member

Nov 18, 2007
    I just recently came to know about this offer:

International Free-for-all

Anyone here actually took advantage of this offer? It seems like you need to buy the equipment but there is probably no limit on how many channels you can get. It is not very clear whether taking a basic package is a requirement or just a way to avoid the $6 access fees. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.