1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cheapest way to get NBC Sports Network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jtrain73, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jtrain73

jtrain73 AllStar

Sep 25, 2006
    With the NHL back, it is my understanding that games broadcast on NBC Sports Network will not be available on Center Ice or on the NHL Gamecenter online?

Assuming that is the case - what is the cheapest way to add this channel?

I am currently on the "Entertainment" package for $54.99/month, and it looks like NBC Sports Network isn't included in Choice, which is +$9/mo, but is included in Choice Extra which is +$14/mo more. I realize there are other channels included too, but really don't intend to watch them.

I can add NHL Center Ice as I had planned to anyway which gets me NHL Network where some other games are included, but are there any other ways to get NBC SN?

2. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I think Choice Extra is the lowest price package that includes NBC Sports Network. Back when it was OLN and Vs, it was available in the Sports Pack, but that is +$13 per month. I do not think it is included in the Sports Pack now, but if it was, it would only save you $1 per month compared to getting Choice Extra.

3. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I'm finding Center Ice being less of a value, more and more each year. I wanted to watch the Oilers and Canucks last night and couldn't find an HD feed of it. I'm not even sure if there was an SD version. My Shaw Direct system had two feeds for that game. Add the b.s. with the NBC Sports channel, the NBC regional telecasts and the NHL Network and it kind of discounts it's value.

4. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Actually it's a $16/mo price increase from Entertainment to XTRA (formerly CHOICE XTRA) after the impending price increase.

That's a huge amount when you only care about the one channel!

5. Michael H..

Michael H.. Unregistered / Not Logged In

May 31, 2007
    Did anyone watch the DET @ COLUMBUS game on NBC Sports?
    The picture quality was horrendous.
    All of the player names were completely out of focus.
    I looked around the boards to see if any of the advertisements were in focus... thinking maybe the camera was focused on something other than the ice surface, but they looked soft as well.
    This wasn't an issue with the "old" Versus... to the contrary, their picture was excellent.
    I'm assuming that NBC used the COL arena feed that is used for their regional feed, etc.
    Question for the COL fans (I admit, I haven't watched many of their games in the past), have you noticed this problem with other broadcasts on your regional network?

6. jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    When 2 Canadian teams face each other it will be in SD UNLESS
    -its against the Leaf$....SN Ontario is carried in HD on NHL CI
    -its on HNIC

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    I think some NON ontario / CBC feeds have came up from time to time. Likely when they are a Backhaul or raw / wild feed.