1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking arrest records

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Oct 29, 2010.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'd like to find out if a certain person who has injected himself into my personal sphere carries any "baggage". I'd be most interested in any criminal record he might have. Since I'm trying to find out if he has a history of personal anger issues, I'd really be as interested in arrests, even if they did not lead to convictions. I'm not after any information that is not legally available to the public. I also like to know generally, if there is any way to find out if someone is on parole.

I am concerned that some of the sites that portend to furnish this kind of information may, in turn, then offer to sell my name to the party whom I have searched for. I have twice previously used a site that simply locates people who I was searching for, and now they keep sending me e-mails asking me if I want to get current info on those two people - which I don't, because I now have current communications with both of them - but they also offer, for just $4, to sell me the names of anyone who has used them to search for me, making me suspect that they may also be offering to furnish them with my name as someone who has searched for them.

Is there any good way to shield my identity from such personal information vendors?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you are that paranoid about someone you know personally, I would say it would be best to distance yourself. Just my personal opinion. Now, to answer your question, go to the local police department and pay them to run a background check on him. If its legally available information, they should be able to give it to you.

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    There are various service online that will provide you with national background checks, rather than just within your state.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'll 2nd that... I understand being concerned and even curious... but if your "red alert" is firing, it either is with good reason OR you are being paranoid and in either case probably need to distance yourself.

Although, I find it highly ironic that you want to be able to find out things about them without them being able to find out about you. While I feel that public records should be easily accessible... I'm also inclined to feel that we don't have a right to anonymously access such records.

There's all manner of things that could be taken out of context and used against someone without recourse if they aren't able to respond. I think of scenarios in which a minor offense might be used to refuse someone a job and then that person never knows why they were refused the job... compounded by perhaps IF they were able to explain the situation, there might be mitigating circumstances.

I just think it a bit odd to want to secretly be able to find out anything about a person and simultaneously not want them to find out about you.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just googled "nationwide criminal search", and the handful of sites I visited wanted typically $30 to $50 for a search of whatever data bases are available, but giving little or no indication of what might be available. The most informatives of sites listed 21 states for which they could get criminal records, but the state I'm interested in Washington, was not one of them. Furthermore, none of those sites indicated what the domain of criminal records was. It could be convictions, it could include indictments and it could include arrests. I'll probably wait until someone here weighs in with their actual search experiences before paying the kind of money being requested at these sites.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    When I worked at our local 9-1-1 center, and ran criminal history checks for the police dept officers in the field, the only information available to us via the NCIC system, was felony convictions. If order to find misdemeanor or other charges, we needed to check state records. As you have discovered, not all states have their information computerized, and there was a large gamut of information available from the ones that are. In any case, most of those records were confidential, and could not be released to the public. The private companies offering the information do so through their access to public records. Only your local police department would be able to tell you if the information you wanted was publically available. The internet sites I would think would be a crap shoot.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
  8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The state where this person lived for most of his life is Washington.

I am not looking for this to become another Dear Abby thread. No one in his right mind who seeks information regarding a contingent threat that someone might pose to him wants that person to know he was seeking such information. I don't give a damn what he knows about me.

I tried a few preliminary free searches that will tell me what in catagories they have found information for names I have entered, but without revealing exactly what that information was. In otherwords, they will tell me if they have found a person's age, city of residence, telephone number, marital status, and supposedly, criminal record, but when I entered the names of several people who have been convicted of felonies and served time, it found all of them but didn't find criminal records for any.

I may call the Washington Office of the Attorney General next week and ask them what criminal records are available in that state than can be accessed over the internet.

9. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    You can always hire a company that does that type of "background" check, which is off the grid, so to speak, they can always find the specific information you seek. Ye ol Yellow Pages, "Private Investigation" used to work pretty good. They won't be back to haunt you about buying other services either. :)

10. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    You need to be very careful with information you receive from any source.

First, you need to be sure that you are giving enough correct information in order not potentially get a false information (especially if the person has a common last name).

Second, you need to be sure that information you have received back is correct and applies to that person.

There are also many jurisdictions where records have not been fully computerized or who only make data available online for a selected period before archiving it and as such you may not have access to all of the data you are looking for.

Be aware that any search you conduct may end up alerting the individual as if a source accesses their credit report, an inquiry will be noted on their file.

11. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Thanks. I see that he was a Defendant in January of 2008 and a Plaintiff in August of 2008, but those are civil parties. The linked search page says, "You can search for litigants (e.g., defendant, petitioner, respondent) associated with a case." While my curiosity has been peaked by these findings and I will be contacting the courts for further information, they could be for matters as innocuous as landlord/tenant disputes.

I'll examine this site further, to see if it addresses criminal dockets anywhere.

Thanks again.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    NP

- Merg

13. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    PublicData.com---if it's truly in the public domain, it's likely accessible via this site.

14. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Interesting. I tested it by entering the name of a late friend of mine who I know was convicted of something in every state he had ever lived in, and North Carolina, where I know he has separate cocaine and heroin convictions, has him for 19 separate items, and since he had a one-in-a-hundred middle name, I know it is (was) him. There is still an outstanding warrant for him.

The guy I'm searching for did not appear, but his state was one for which PublicDate apparently only scours two court data bases.

15. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    The best way to check out the accuracy of these sites is to order a report on yourself. If it has inaccuracies, I would be wary of any report from that site.