1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Checking Nomad Storage Use?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by pnessutt, Jun 29, 2012.

1. pnessutt

pnessutt Banned User

Apr 30, 2007
    We now have two devices (iPads) using Nomad for downloading of DVR recordings and I was wondering how I could check the current storage utilization on the device. Is there a way that I can see how much space is left for transcoded shows?

I suspect we'll have to add the flash drive now to increase storage regardless, but I would like to see what is out there.

Thanks!

-Bob

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yes, start the client, select the ?, then System Info, that screen will show how much storage is being used.

3. pnessutt

pnessutt Banned User

Apr 30, 2007
    Thanks, RAD.

From what I'm reading, it says there is 26.1MB free on the device. Not much left...

That being said, how do I delete items from Nomad (while keeping them on the DVR) to free up space (short of buying the flash drive)?

Thanks again for your help!

-Bob

4. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You don't. The only way for the transcoded recording to be deleted is to delete it from the HD DVR. What you're asking for is a feature that a number of people have been asking DIRCTV to add to nomad. I hooked up a 1TB USB drive to mine to get around that issue.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I believe if you tell it to transcode something else it will delete the oldest recording that is on it to make room.

6. pnessutt

pnessutt Banned User

Apr 30, 2007
    Thanks for your replies - I hope they add this feature in the future so we have more administrative capabilities.

I will have to add an expansion drive quickly in the interim. :)

-Bob

7. pnessutt

pnessutt Banned User

Apr 30, 2007
    Do I need to have nomad powered off and then plug in my USB drive? Or can I plug it in while the unit is on?

Just bought a 64GB flash drive for it and wanted to make sure I do it right.

Thanks!

-Bob

8. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I've plugged in a USB drive with nomad powered on. I also have the client open since you need to give nomad the OK to add it.

9. pnessutt

pnessutt Banned User

Apr 30, 2007
    That worked. I tried it first by shutting down, plugging it in, and then starting it up - that didn't work.

When I had the client open and plugged it in, Nomad reported the new drive was added and asked if I wanted to format. I did and voila, I now have 80GB of space. Nice.

Thanks!

-Bob