1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking transponders?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by matty8199, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    If I'm watching a channel, how can I check to see what satellite and transponder it's on?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Walk over to your computer and look it up

;)

I dont know of any D* receivers that will tell you the transponder a particular channel is on...

Herers one for 101, where most SD programming is located..

http://www.dbsforums.com/dbs/DTV101.htm

I'm sure if you are interested in other sats tehy are available in a similar fashion

3. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    On a DTivo with TivoWebPlus running you can see all channels and their associated SATs & transponders under Channel Prefs --> All.

Locals I can't really make out but for the rest it shows thst CNN is on 101 transponder 10. CourtTV is on 101 Transponder 9.

Looks like the list CC's posted link may be out of date if the info I can see is correct. That link shows ESPN News and ESPN Classic is on 101-5 and TWP shows:

ESPN News:
    Code:
    Receive= Yes
    Favorite= No
    SignalType= 6 (DirecTV)
    NetworkID= Sat A (101)
    Transponder= 6
    NumStreams= 2
    ServiceType= 64 (DirecTvDigitalTv)
    Spi= 1 (Gtv)
    StreamType= 2 (StandardVideo)
    and

ESPN Classic:
    Code:
    Receive= Yes
    Favorite= No
    SignalType= 6 (DirecTV)
    NetworkID= Sat A (101)
    Transponder= 6
    NumStreams= 2
    ServiceType= 64 (DirecTvDigitalTv)
    Spi= 1 (Gtv)
    StreamType= 2 (StandardVideo)
    But I'm not aware of any way to tell that from the screen.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Is TivoWebPlus a mod and not something found on a standard out of the box unit?

5. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Yep, it's one of the addons.

I don't understand that since all of this info is on the units why there are not up to date lists published by DTV from time to time.

6. jimisham

jimisham Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    Here's one that show what satellite and transponder the national channels are on. http://www.widemovies.com/dtvtransponders.html
    Sorry if I don't understand the question and answers, but
    with my HR10-250, I can do this. Go to the channel, then 'Directv Central', 'Messages and Setup', 'Settings', 'Satellite and Off Air Antenna', ''Test Satellite Signal Strength', 'OK, Test Signal Strength Now'. Up comes the Satellite , Transponder (that the channel is on) and Signal Strength. I believe my Sony SAT 60 could do the same thing.

7. kay

kay AllStar

Nov 27, 2005
    depends a lot on your box, but i'm sure all have the option

8. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    If you have a normal DirecTV DVR with TiVo, all you need to do is get your signal strength meter. You tune to the channel you wish to check, and then get a signal meter. Whatever transponder shows up during the test is the transponder the channel is on.

9. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    matty, I seem to remember that you are from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. All you need to do is tune to each local channel, then get a signal strength. I believe that your local channels are coming from the 119 satellite, transponder 23. And that is the transponder that should show up on the test screen if you are on your local channels.

You'll also need to tell us which receiver you have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.