1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevy truck questions...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nabisco, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Well i got a new truck a week or so ago(new to me) 92 chevy pick up 5speed. Its going to be my new work truck and i had a few questions that you may be able to help me with, Since it is a manual, can i get a cruse control to work well on it( where to get it at if i can) was thinking MAY be putting air in it also? what u think about that? now my last question is do you think a utility topper from a newer chevy would fit on it( with in reason, i understand i might have to make some shime or something) it is the type with the two side doors and two back doors

Thanks for the input guys/ gals!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    FWIW: I added a cruise control to my old Ford Bronco with a manual box.
    The switch/chains were connected to both the brake & clutch for disconnect.
    Look for aftermarket ones. It's been a long time so I don't have a model.

3. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I had a aftermarket cruise control added to a Honda Accord with manual tranny back in the early 80's. It worked fine, but it obviously couldn't downshift :)

4. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I had a 1990 Toyota Celica with cruise and a manual. So it's possible. The cost of installing it aftermarket in a 18 year-old truck would probably exceed the value of the vehicle though. If you wanted cruise, why didn't you buy one that already had it?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Guess this would depend on whether you installed it or paid for it.
    It sure wasn't that hard for me to install.

6. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    I haven't looked in quite a while but JC Whitney for one should have add on cruise controls, probably in the $60-100 range. Dunno, but NAPA etc. may have them.

7. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    As for the camper shell, 88-98 Chevy trucks have the same body style (give or take the 3/4 ton and 1 ton models which went from 92-98). But I doubt one from a newer model (99-up) will fit the bed....but I can't say for sure since I have no experience in camper shells :D

8. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    I went with i could afford, im getting ready to had over the company van and to be honest i cant wait, they are over rated i think, i going to try to have all the creature comforts to make the massive driving more comfortable, i am pretty good with a wrench so i think i would be able to get the cruse added no problem, now the shell i had the guy measure the back where the doors and it looks like its going to fit just fine, as for length i am just assuming it will come close they are both stanard size boxes so it should only at the most be a little off... i assume

9. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    IIRC, the front of the newer style Chevy beds are much wider than the 88-98's.