1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Choice Xtra Classic Compared to Xtra?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mika911, Oct 29, 2013.

1. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Right now I have an old Choice Xtra Classic package. The new one DirecTV would like me to be on is called simply "Xtra." It costs $1.00 less per month, but says it has 5 less channels. I can't figure out what 5 channels it is, perhaps music or something?

Is there any downside to going to this $1.00 less package and be up to date on the packages they offer?

Thanks.

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Choice Xtra Classic was replaced with two packages, Xtra and Ultimate. Ultimate has all the channels that are in Choice Xtra Classic plus a few extra channels like the Encores, The Movie Channel and Sundance. Xtra doesn't have Boomerang, Chiller, Cloo, Esquire, NHL Network, PBS Kids Sprout and Univision Deportes.

1 person likes this.
  3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One thing to keep in mind is you can't go back to the old package. But, unless you watch those channels, there also isn't really a reason to keep it.

1 person likes this.
  4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you sign into your account and then click on packages it will show your current package along with all the others available. Then you can compare channels in each package. You can choose, movies, sports, hd, etc. to compare or all channels.

5. Nov 6, 2013 #5 of 10
    stek

stek New Member

May 30, 2007
    I subscribe to the Choice Xtra Classic package and I receive Boomerang, Chiller, Esquire, NHL Network, PBS Kids Sprout and Univision Deportes. I do not receive Cloo, the Encores, the Movie Channel and Sundance.

6. Nov 6, 2013 #6 of 10
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    No, they are not included with the old Choice Xtra. They are the "Extras" that Kyle said are included in the Ultimate package, beyond what is in Choice Xtra.

7. Nov 6, 2013 #7 of 10
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I went with Xtra to save the $1 as I didn't see anything in classic that I watch.
    Hey, every $1 saved helps!

8. Nov 7, 2013 #8 of 10
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    why in the wide ,WIDE, world of sports, would you give up 5, count them, FIVE CHANNELS, for a dollar.. that's 20 cents per month.. I pay close to $4 for just one outdoor channel most months. and what happens, when you have a visitor, or are watching a kid, grandkid, or who ever, and 'need' that channel for entertainment.. if you were saving a dollar per channel, it would be 'worth it" but a dollar a month.. no way.. no how, and not for me.. just remember, with all that savings, you can buy a gallon of gas, in just 4 months..

9. Nov 8, 2013 #9 of 10
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    why in the wide ,WIDE, world of sports, would you give up 5, count them, FIVE CHANNELS, for a dollar.. that's 20 cents per month.. I pay close to $4 for just one outdoor channel most months. and what happens, when you have a visitor, or are watching a kid, grandkid, or who ever, and 'need' that channel for entertainment.. if you were saving a dollar per channel, it would be 'worth it" but a dollar a month.. no way.. no how, and not for me.. just remember, with all that savings, you can buy a gallon of gas, in just 4 months..

he didn't give up five channels for a $1 a month. He lowered his bill by a dollar a month by delete ing things he never watches. That's like saying someone's nuts for only getting 3 discs at a time instead of four from Netflix. If he will never see a fourth movie what the heck difference would it make?

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have that package too and hardly ever watch the channels I would lose but I keep it anyways. Once in awhile I like to view cartoons on Boomerang. I miss Cloo as well. Wish it was still available in that package. Ultimate Package is not something for me. I usually have Starz and I am not willing to pay double for part of the channels just to get something like Cloo. Not sure why they don't offer a discount to customers that sub to both the Ultimate Package and Starz.