1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Choice Xtra Classic vs Choice or Entertainment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Lschinaia, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Lschinaia

Lschinaia New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Hey guys,

I have been with Choice Xtra Classic for years, but the fees keep adding up. I looked at some of the channel differences between packages, but wanted to know what your opinion was on moving from a 65$ classic plan to either Choice or Entertainment pkgs to save money.

Is the channel choices the only difference, I sometimes watch Directv online, or on my phone, would that feature disappear?

Compared to Choice, or Entertainment... what's the flaws of downgrading?
    Thanks
    L

2. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    You can't get Choice Xtra Classic back after changing.

3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I just dropped down again to the Entertainment Package From Choice Extra. I gotta say I'm impressed with the line up.

Just remember if RSNs are a requirement, you either must subscribe to Choice or the sports pack.

Also ,MLB,Speed,ESPNews,and Espnu channels are also missing from entertainment pack.
    To my knowledge as long as you subscribe to the channels, the on demand and online stuff wouldn't change

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/compa...annels.jsp?packageId=1310002&skuId=P000101571

4. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Incorrect. Choice Xtra Classic could be reinstated within 30 days of being removed. Granted, the Xtra package is almost the same channels and is a dollar cheaper.
    Channels missing:
    Boomerang
    Chiller
    NHL Network
    Sports Mix
    Sprout
    Style
    and a couple channels you've probably never heard of.

Correct.

5. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Also, the Tennis Channel, which is the only reason I still have Xtra Classic.

6. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Tennis (217) is currently part of the Xtra package.

7. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Where did you hear that? Unless you know something I don't, Tennis is only available with Choice Ultimate (and higher) or the grandfathered Choice Xtra Classic. Been that way since last year when they created the Classic package.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have the Xtra package and the Tennis Channel is available on my setup, although the channel lineup card does not list it.

9. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Do you have the sports package too? If so, that could be the reason.

10. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I downgraded to the Entertainment package. With the exception of ESPNU I don't miss much that is lost. During college football season I will upgrade to get ESPNU and drop down again when the season is over.

11. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    i have the xtra package. tennis channel is available. i dont have any kind of sports package.

12. leier911

leier911 AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    Well since the start of it, I've been on the Entertainment. I feel it is a great package. All I wanted......Until hockey started back up and now for baseball, I needed my FoxSports North, so I had to bump back up to the Choice, which does add a few more like the MLB, and Big Ten Network too for me, so the sports was the only thing I was looking for by moving. Other than that, I do enjoy the Entertainment

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I just switched today to Choice from Choice Xtra Classic, saving me $7 per month.

Now way I could go with the Entertainment package and give up the Big 10 Network.

14. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    H2 is the reason i have xtra. if it wasnt for that, id have the entertainment package. every channel i watch is in that package except for H2. im thrilled that its finally in HD :D

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Man, I just hate seeing all you guys that have been here since the beginning having to scale back on programming due to runaway costs. There is going to be a backlash one of these days, I am afraid. I would never have imagined when I first signed up for DirecTv, that the costs would be this high (for any provider) considering what they were when it all started.

16. skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk Mentor

May 24, 2007
    thanks for this thread and knocking some sense in me! I never even thought about downgrading to "entertainment" during my team's off-season. Even if it turns out to be a handful of months out of the year, every little bit helps!

17. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    It's sad but the costs are really getting out of hand. I have had satellite TV in some form since 1996 and am going to suspend my service this summer due to the runaway costs. I think the backlash you speak of is already beginning.

18. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    Yep. Backlash from me is coming once my contract is up. Unless there is another show like dexter or breaking bad to keep me around. I will be leaving pay TV. I will survive with Netflix and OTA..

19. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I wanted to do this but lose 5 sports channels in HD for $6 a month. I watch all 5 channels
    occasionally so at least I can upgrade and save $1 per month. Those sports channels are
    cbssn, fuel, golf, nbatv and nbcs. The guide says fox soccer and tennis also, but is wrong there.

20. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    They tried to get me to switch to ENTERTAINMENT (from Choice Extra Classic) a year ago when I complained and complained about the Regional Sports Fee (I hate sports). But then I looked at how many non-sports channels that I watch weren't in ENTERTAINMENT and decided that wasn't an option.

When I started talking "Hopper" to retention I ended up with a $10 bill credit for a year and 6 months of no DVR fee.

Now, I discovered that the Regional Sports Fee suddenly disappeared for my ZIP code on February 1!

Why doesn't DirecTV just put ALL the sports channels into their sports tier and let viewers who don't watch sports escape from the outrageous charges that sports channel providers (I.E. ESPN) charge?