1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choice Xtra vs Ultimate - Encore Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by EW800, Oct 15, 2010.

1. EW800

EW800 AllStar

Oct 1, 2010
    If I am not mistaken, the biggest difference between the Choice Xtra Package and the Choice Ultiamte Package is the addition of the Encore channels. I am wondering what so of you think of the Encore channels? Good content? Do you kind them worth the extra few bucks?

Thanks for any feedback that you can provide!

2. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    I guess it would depend on the kind of films that you like. Encore shows older films so I would want them.

The other consideration is the HD issue since not all of the Encore channels are HD.

I do watch the Encore's but they're included in my pkg (Premire).

3. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    I agree with scoop. I have Premier. However Encore East is in HD. So if HD is your thing I don't see Choice Ultimate as a big deal. There are some of the TMC (The Movie Channel) channels included also.

4. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Sure ain't worth the extra $7.50 to me, to switch from my grandfathered TC+ pkg... :nono2:

FYI, Sundance is also included w/CU...

5. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    The best bargain you can get is NetFlix for $9 a month. Stream it to your PC and HDTVs via wireless.

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I like Encore but there's only one HD channel.

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I enjoy watching some of the old Westerns on Encore Western

8. AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo Legend

Aug 22, 2007
    Doesn't Starz come with the Encore channels also? I have an old Choice package and Starz and I get the Encore channels (maybe mine is just messed up). Anyway, I'd keep your current package and just add Starz for more value.

9. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    NOT as part of the new Choice Ultimate pkg - they DO (still) if you take the Starz/Encore premium tier.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    With Ultimate you also get The Movie Channel which is normally part of the Showtime premium package. And you get a couple more music channels.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Yeah but if you want the Starz channels they do you the favor of charging you twice for the Encore channels as part of both the Starz and the Choice Ultimate packages. No thanks.

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As a Premier and HD Extra Pack subscriber I enjoy the Encore channels very much. Lots of variety to choose from. Just wish they were in HD.

13. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm a recent D* convert and have the Premiere package for five months. I figured I could drop to Extra when the five months are up, but then I saw I would lose Encore Westerns. If I did that, my wife would be all over me like Matt Dillon or Cheyenne Bodie on a bad guy!

14. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I had Premiere since signing up with DirecTV back in 2008, but since the birth of my son almost 9 months ago, the movie channels just weren't being viewed enough to justify paying for them....I downgraded to Choice Ultimate and have been happy with my choice so far. Sometimes (when I'm not trying to grab some sleep while he sleeps) I'll browse the Encore channels and can find an older movie that I haven't seen in a while....so for me, its worth it :D

15. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I had Ultimate and wanted to get Starz channels so I went back to Choice Xtra and got the Starz/Encore package. I did loose TMC HD.

16. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    +1

17. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    "You" as in "people with high enough internet speed to stream quality HD."

And of course, there are a lot of HD movies on the premium channels that are not available from Netflix.

18. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    I would rather pay $4.99 for the HD Extra pack than $5 for the Choice Ultimate -- more HD and better variety, IMHO.

19. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009

NetFlix includes free Starz and also Epix . . Plus you get about 4 or 5 DVDs a month included in the price. Yes, you do need high speed Internet.

20. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    For me, I don't watch movies, so I would save the $5 and go with Choice Xtra.