1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Choose one !!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dobok, Jul 22, 2013.

1. dobok

dobok Mentor

Feb 7, 2010
    A friend has a Genie coming too add to his 2 hr24;s. That gives him 9 tuners. He says he should just switch to the Swm lnb and then run 1 wire down to a multiswitch. I say you have the 4 wires already in the house ---run 4 wires into the Swm 16 module---add the 29 volt to the Swm module---1 wire straight to the Genie-1 wire to a spliter--1 wire to a hr24--another wire to the last hr24--and your done !!! Maybe someone could draw my brother(in-law) a picture cause he don't believe me !!!! I think my way is easier for him !!!!

2. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    You can't run one wire down to a multiswitch. And there is no way to use the SWM LNB and support more than eight tuners, it can't be done.Multiswitches require four inputs from the dish. So you are absolutely correct. Four wires from the dish to an SWM16, then the splitter config as you describe.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    http://manuals.solidsignal.com/SWM-16-Install-LR.pdf

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Your proposed methodology is exactly what a DirecTV tech would do. If your friend is concerned about the cost of a SWM-16, tell him that they new ones, with a Power Inserter and splitters are available on ebay for anywhere between $40-60 (including shipping).

Edit: Somehow I had it in my head that the TS was talking about his brother-in-law, rather than his friend.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV will install whatever is needed without additional cost with the installation of the Genie, right? That is a good chunk of what the additional 24 month commitment is about.

6. dobok

dobok Mentor

Feb 7, 2010
    Thanks Guys !!!

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, a tech is supposed to installed whatever "support hardware" is necessary to support his receivers

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Based on the OP, I assumed that the friend wanted to do the install himself. Otherwise, there was no point for this thread to exist.