1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choppy hi-def channels?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by hackwriter, Oct 12, 2009.

1. hackwriter

hackwriter Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Anyone else having problems with choppy signal on the hi-def channels? I've had it since like Saturday night, where the hi-def channels come in choppy frames rather than a smooth flow. It's only on the hi-def channels, and only in the last few days.

2. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Time to force a hard reboot of your receiver.

3. BJK

BJK AllStar

Feb 20, 2007
    I have seen a similar, if not the same, problem in that while watching HD recordings this weekend, the picture would freeze for a few second and then jump to another frame and freeze again (etc, etc,etc) while the audio was unaffected. It was so consistent that I thought it was a new kind of special effect. It turns out that I had done a double recording (two different time slots) of the season primer of Sanctuary. I dumped the first recording and jumped to the same location in the second one and finished the show. Later on I started the the season primer SGU and had the same problem show up in the middle of that play back. This time I did a power switch reset and went back to the same place in the recording and the problem did not reappear.

BJK

4. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Are you sure you're not using U-verse? Sorry I couldn't resist.

5. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Word of warning to you guys, I forced a restart when I had this exact problem Sunday morning and my EHD came up corrupted and I lost everything on it.

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm seeing a little pixalation now.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I had some pixalation in the storm. Hopefully, that's all it was.

8. BJK

BJK AllStar

Feb 20, 2007
    Just a follow up on the quoted post that I previously put up.
    Last night I was watching a live SD program while taping a SD program on another channel. I once again had the video freeze for 1-2 seconds then jump to another freeze frame, etc. This time I hit the "View Live TV" and then "Cancel" in quick succession and the problem disappeared. I was not in delayed mode at the time and audio was not affected.

BJK

9. commodore_dude

commodore_dude AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    I've noticed this as well. Both at home, and then last night in a hotel that was using Dish Network.

10. oneyedmason

oneyedmason New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I noticed the same thing I thought it was my TV, but at least I see that there are others out there with the same issue. Time to address the carrier.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    What are your temperature readings.

This symptom could be caused by overheating.

12. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    I've had my 722 for over a year and have started having this problem during the past 5 or 6 days, on recorded and live material, on air and off air. This unit is well ventilated and used a great deal.

13. manicd

manicd Legend

Jan 30, 2003
    I have had it happen twice in the past 10 days and have had to reboot both times to fix it.
    The one time I had placed the live show on pause, came back after about 4 minutes and started playback and it did the free picture good audio. The other time it did it on a recording after jumping ahead. This was with the 722 version L6.22

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    It's just on the premiums. A second or two. Nothing like U-verse where it frozed for a hour on multiple days.

15. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    It's not just on the premiums for me. ON air, off air, live and recorded. Nationals and cable channels, audio and video. Too much stuff already recorded to install a new 722.

16. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    I've had some of this for quite a while but recently even more. Actually I'm glad to see this thread and will try the hard reset to see if it clears up some of my problems. I was thinking it could be bad sectors on the hard disk (BTW-I have a HD ViP 612 receiver)

17. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Having the same problems here as well. Lot of pixelation, grainy picture and digital artifacts on both SD and HD content. Also have had frozen picture with little green blocks. I have checked my signal levels and all are within normal limits. Looks like E* might be experiencing some problems, has anyone been sucessful in reporting this issue? I haven't called due to already knowing the answer I will receive, reboot your receiver. I have rebooted to no end with negative results. Aggravating to have a less than 100 percent picture quality, because that is what we are paying for.

18. BJK

BJK AllStar

Feb 20, 2007
  19. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Last couple of days have had similar problems. When first turning the box on for the day, the video is frozen and jumps from scene to scene like a slideshow while the audio continues normally. Doesn't matter what channel, HD, OTA or SD, the channel that the box is tuned to when it is turned on does this. I can change the channel to another and that channel is fine, change back the original channel is still screwed up. It eventually goes away and behaves normally, takes a couple of minutes.

Hard drive temps are 118-high, 82-low, 95-average. It does not repeat the problem after being turned on, only when first turned on, and only the channel it is tuned to when turned on.

20. Tulsa1

Tulsa1 Godfather

Oct 15, 2003
    Exactly the same for me, happens randomly