1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chuck Berry dead at 90.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by yosoyellobo, Mar 18, 2017.

1. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    i feel like a part of my youth has pass away. I will always remember while on basic training at Lackland Texas in 1962 marching cadence to Hail Hail Rock Rock. RIP Chuck.
    Chuck Berry, Rock & Roll Innovator, Dead at 90

Rich and jimmie57 like this.
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    He was a real character and a heck of a guitar player. My daddy liked country music and not rock and roll until he saw Chuck on stage with that funky walk / skip across the stage while banging out a song on that electric guitar. He liked him for sure.
    I listened to a few of his songs just recently on a website dedicated to oldies. He was very good.

Rich likes this.
  3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I mentioned this to my father today, he'd never heard of him. He was more of a country fan, but was still surprised.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    so many good people gone ... it's make me feel an end of the World of music

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    R.I.P. Chuck

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I like this as a statement on the impact of his music:

In 1977, NASA sent a two-hour recording of Earth sounds – animals, a passage from the Koran, a message from President Jimmy Carter and a snippet of Chuck Berry’s music, among other things – on Voyager I, leading to a classic Saturday Night Live joke delivered by Steve Martin, ostensibly relaying a deep-space response: “Send more Chuck Berry.”​

RIP

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Good chance those deep-space aliens are still trying to decode the animal sounds. Good luck with that, guys, and let us know if you figure out what they're saying. :cool:

R.I.P. Mr. Berry and Godspeed

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I hope so, I certainly know it. Though in that movie I got a kick out of Huey Lewis's cameo. For a few years (and a few decades difference), he lived on the same street I grew up on. This was back when he was just Hugh Cregg though.

Rich likes this.
  10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    To add to the list, Jimmy Breslin, the great sports writer died today. Don't know him? Simply one of the very best writers. Wrote for the NY Daily news. He wrote some good books too.

I have to admit this is one of the most puzzling posts I've seen. Did your father just not like music?

Rich

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I know he had records but think it was mostly country. I was born in 75 and definitely know who Chuck Berry was, but also probably am more eclectic. Even saw Little Jimmy Dickens a few times at the Opry, though we didn't go specifically for him.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx. I guess...Not busting chops, just kinda puzzled. Guess I never expected to see what you wrote. Oh well, different strokes and all that. :)

Rich