1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CID & Wireless Phone Jack

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by neocharles, Dec 20, 2008.

1. neocharles

neocharles Legend

Aug 4, 2008
    Here's what I'm looking at. My room doesn't have a phone jack (sad, yes I Know), but I'd like to take advantage of the caller ID on the Receiver (along with putting a phone in my room.)

I Noticed Best Buy carries this:

RCA - Wireless Phone Jack (Model: RC940)
    Click here for Link

Will that work properly with the D*TV box?

2. Bronco70

Bronco70 AllStar

May 14, 2008
    It should work.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Agreed. That should work. You might be able to find suitable wireless phone extenders for less $$$, though.

4. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    Some work, and some don't... its just like using vonage with it.... all you can do is try it.. if it work great if not, you could always take it back:grin:

5. neocharles

neocharles Legend

Aug 4, 2008
    I work there... so It'll work out :hurah:

6. CindyJ

CindyJ AllStar

Aug 7, 2008
    I have an RCA wireless jack attached to my HR20-700. Works great for PPV but CID doesn't work at all.

7. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Same here, attached to my HR22-100 in the living room. Mine's an old one I've had for at least 7 or 8 years, maybe longer. Phone connection has always worked but nada on the CID.

Now that an internet connection works for PPV and such, I don't bother with it at all any longer. I unplugged it four or five months ago and haven't looked back.

8. Bronco70

Bronco70 AllStar

May 14, 2008
    I used one of these years ago to enable instant ppv. It worked fine.

CID seems to be a separate issue. My theater D* DVR is connected to a hardwired phone connection. It passes the phone connection test, but when a call comes in I get the message to call the phone company to sign up for caller ID.

Have had CID for years. And CID works fine on two other D* IRD's in the house, also hardwired.

I have no clue as to the issue. There are a few threads on DBS that address this problem. I care not since movie time in the theater is sacrosanct, within reason :) .

The adapter should work for a standard phone connection.

I also use X-10 stuff for lighting control. Cheap stuff bought from Rat-Shack 10 or so years ago. Works fine most of the time. At times certain channels will not operate. A little research suggested that power line phase was the problem.

Life is too short to figure out some of this stuff.

Joe

9. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    Wireless jack works fine for CID for me, on two HRs, even with Vonage.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Get a wireless *modem* jack, not just a wireless phone jack. The modem jack isn't any more expensive but has more bandwidth to allow the receiver's modem to properly dial out. Some phone jacks may work, but you'll have a better chance with a modem jack. Even then it's still not 100%.

I personally have a modem jack and use Vonage thru it and all my receivers except my old DirecTivo's work just fine.

11. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I don't think that model works for CID you want one that is a MODEM jack. It will work for telephones and connecting the satellite but dosen't send CID information. Search for a RCA RC930 modem jack.

12. neocharles

neocharles Legend

Aug 4, 2008
    CID works fine, crappy though when it comes to voice quality. Phone test passes, and I don't use PPV, so I assume it will be okay.

13. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I use the older models and they work quite well. No issues.