1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cinema Connection Kit Problems (Wired)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SemperFi, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I currently have the following equipment - 1-Genie HD-DVR HR44-200 in living room, 2-H21-200 in bedroom. My desktop computer with Verizon modem is hardwired in a second bedroom. Connected to the modem is an older Cinema Connection Kit which is plugged into the power outlet and simply has an ethernet cable running from the kit to the modem, nothing else.
    Several days ago I lost the internet connection to my desktop. After calling Verizon and being told that all signals were strong they decided to replace my modem. I hooked it up and had the same issue, no internet connection on my desktop. Through trial and error I removed the ethernet cable from the CCK to the modem and my internet was back and working. Plugged it back in and the internet was down again. So now while I have internet access (with ethernet cable no longer plugged into the modem) I no longer have download capability. Is it simply that the CCK box is fried?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What's the model number of your CCK?

3. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Front of the unit reads: TII network technologies Turbo 85 and the back reads: HPTURBOWALL. There is also a MAC# and a DEC# but no model # anywhere on the unit.

4. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That's not a CCK. It's a powerline adapter. It allows you to use your home electrical wiring to send data rather than using Ethernet.

6. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ok. I do notice that when plugged in the Powerline Link light is off and the Ethernet Link light flashes green. Is this the source of my internet and VOD problems?

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Very likely from what I have read. Never had Powerline myself.

8. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I understand that DirecTv no longer supports Powerline. Considering the equipment that I have and the rooms they are situated in, what are my options?

9. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Since you have a HR44 it has built in WiFi support, do you have a WiFi router and can the signal reach from there to the HR44? If yes why not give that a shot?

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Also there should be two of those power line units. We don't have the full Picture yet of how your system is wired. You will want to unplug both.

11. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If not, you stated that you have two H21's "in bedroom". Does that mean that one of them is in the second bedroom, where the Fios modem is? If that's the case, then you should easily be able to add a "real" CCK (either wired or wireless) in the second bedroom.

12. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's about 30 feet from the router to the HR44.

13. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I only have one H21 in a bedroom. The HR44 is in the living room and the desktop computer is in a third room.

14. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    It worked! The first try was unsuccessful because one of the Powerlines was still plugged in. I unplugged the unit, went through the process a second time and got connected. To everyone who responded to my dilemma, thank you very much. The folks on this forum are the best.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Awesome! Glad you got it "wired"... (pun intended, you got it 'unwired'!).

16. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, my enthusiasm was short lived. I attempted to download a 30 minute show and after 13% of the download was completed I got a message that the connection was lost. I went through the process a second time and now it shows "Internet not detected". I can see that the wireless option is not going to work. When I had the wired connection (since 2008) I never had this problem once until this week. So, what do I need to revert back to a wired connection to the internet considering that the Powerline option is no longer available?

17. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    call DirecTV and have them install a DECA Broadband adapter or run an ethernet cable to the Genie

18. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Do both of those options require a cable from the room where the computer modem is located. If so, I know my wife isn't going to like another wire running 30 feet through the house.

19. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep

20. SemperFi

SemperFi New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll probably be getting a new HD TV for the room with the computer in a few weeks. Can the wired CCK be installed on a non DVR HD receiver to regain my internet access since I have the Genie in different room? I don't know what the latest model is these days, maybe the H25.