1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cinemax Penny Promo still going on?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Link, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I received a letter from Dish saying my Cinemax for a penny promo was coming to an end but I could keep Cinemax for the regular monthly fee etc, etc. I was planning to just cancel it because I'm not paying $12 a month for it and then in my bill that came this week it has the 1 YR Cinemax for a Penny charge of 0.01 on my bill so I guess it is continuing after all?

I was surprised considering I got the letter saying I'd start being charged for it at the full monthly price.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah. I was just as surprised this year as you. I guess we're on some kind of "good" list.

3. GB1

GB1 AllStar

Dec 7, 2006
    Please keep us posted on this. I received the letter as well. I really like it for a penny, but not so much for $12. thanks

4. jedi5

jedi5 Mentor

Mar 25, 2010
    When your promos are about to end, what do you guys do to extend them or try to get new promos?

My .01 will be coming to end soon as well.
    When my last promo ended, I called Dish and the csr pretty much said
    there were no new promos she could offer me and extend the one that had
    just ended.

Has anyone here had better luck extending their promo when it ended?

5. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    I was waiting for it to die. Still get all those channels! Have not looked at my bill yet. Was afraid they were gonna bill me the full price. I should look at it online soon to see just what they did. I really liked paper bills since the made me take time to look at them! I wish they would email them to me instead of making me go online to find them.

6. JeffN9

JeffN9 Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    I have received two letters and a note on my on-line statement (starting in Dec.) that the Cinemax channels would be going away soon but it hasn't happened yet. Once I received the first letter I scrambled to load as many movies as I could onto my 1tb external hard drive. Now the drive is full and I still have the channels:lol: Oh well they only seem to introduce 1 or 2 new "good" movies each month anyway.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I received a letter that my Cinemax would end at .01 and it would go upto $12. This month I got a paper bill so I called to find out why. My Cinemax is supposed to end today tomorrow I guess I find out what is happening.

Oh yes the paper bill didn't show a .01 renewal but it didn't have $$12 either.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Got home from work yesterday and checked Cinemax, it was still on. Called DISH I guess I went to India, after talking to 2 idiots I hung up and called again. Requested Tech support and got an American and some answers, My account has again been debited .01 for another year of Cinemax. He explained the promotion was supposed to end but some customers are being billed by the computer and DISH so far is honoring it. Seems to be another DISH GLITCH but as long as it is in my favor I won't complain. I still wouldn't pay for Cinemax but if it is being given to me I won't refuse it. Well that is my update, should I call and double check?:):):)

9. Apr 8, 2010 #9 of 29
    tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    Mine runs out the 9th of April. No good movies on till then so I canceled yesterday. No way to keep getting it. I also canceled paperless and auto pay. If all of us do that then maybe someone will see it costs them a lot to send a paper bill and give some thing back, maybe like $5 a year.

10. karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    Just lost mine. Was given the .01 Cinemax promo (for A YEAR, they tell me!) for signing up on autopay in October.

Last month my bank had a data breach & changed my cc#., so dish couldn't autodeduct my monthly.

Forgot about it until last night--no Cinemax.

Just spent a futile hour in chat with THREE LEVELS of "support".

Still no Cinemax for a penny. Gone.

It's going to be a long year and a half. No MLB network. Now this.

Not going to give them ETF money, just ride it out & switch when the time is right.

Unless someone here has some ideas?

11. TulsaOK

TulsaOK DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 23, 2004
    Seriously, you are going to switch because you can't get Cinemax for a penny?

12. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    I ended up with 2 years of Cinemax, not a bad deal for the price.
    I know, it's not really relevant, I was just putting in my 2 cents....

13. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    So since your bank screwed up, you're blaming Dish? What-eva.

Pretty stupid reason to want to cancel, IMO.

14. karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    To paraphrase Joe Walsh, I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Not blaming anyone, I'm an adult and can take the good (dvr capability w/entry level 211k, slightly better pricing than D*****) with the bad (intransigent csr, no MLB, 2yr contract). Wouldn't be so shortsighted as to cancel a contract and pay etf over a penny. Just my .02 or in this case .01

15. mcutler

mcutler Cool Member

Jan 27, 2008
    My Cinemax for a penny was renewed last month, with the 1 cent charge on my monthly statement. But my new statement came out today, showing full price for the Cinemax. I called and they said the Cinemax for a penny was over. They did remove it without charging the $5 downgrade fee, and gave me a credit to apply against the current bill.

Easy come, easy go. No big deal, as I never watched anything on Cinemax anyway!

16. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Yesterday (4/15/2010) I received a letter from Dish saying my 1 cent Cinemax Promo was ending next month and that they would be charging my account $12.99/month starting with next bill.

I did an on-line chat to cancel Cinemax and the rep gave me an additional year for a penny.

She handed me off to a Tech person re my not being able to get all of the available programming on my Top 250 package due to my antennas only getting 110, 119, and 61.5.

He offered to send someone out for a fee of $15. I replied that I would not pay a fee as E* chose to make my antenna setup "obsolete," and I had done nothing to cause the problem.

He wouldn't budge.

I wanted to give Fios a try anyway. Fios has a new DVR setup that looks appealing.

17. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Interesting. I got TWO letters earlier this year that the penny deal was ending and that CINEMAX WOULD BE REMOVED AUTOMATICALLY from my account. It very specifically said that I did NOT have to do anything -- that I would NOT be charged -- and that they would remove Cinemax. It also said very specifically that if I wanted to KEEP Cinemax, I MUST call and let them know.

My February 26th statement even has this note on it: "Free Period Ending... We hope you have enjoyed the best variety of movies and top Hollywood hits from Cinemax at the special promotional price of only a penny a year! The promotional period has now expired and Cinemax has been removed from your account."

Note that it says that it has been removed. It then goes on and says that if I want to add it back, I can do it for $12.99 a month.

My March 26th statement does NOT have anything related to Cinemax on it -- no charge or anything.

My April 26th statement, that just went out, has me charged $12.99 for Cinemax!

Stupid Dish. Now I have to call and get this corrected. They basically told me THREE TIMES that I WOULD NOT BE CHARGED and that they were AUTOMATICALLY REMOVING CINEMAX. What do they do? Not remove it and charge me. Way to go, Dish! heh.

Anyone else getting charged without permission after being told that you wouldn't be after the penny deal ended?

- John...

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Subscribe to Cinamax. MLB is an another matter.

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Recently my online screen changed to this appearance:

[​IMG]

The difference is the block next to Cinemax in the Premium Channels used to be grayed out. The language about still having the penny promotion is still there, but I keep checking both my guide, my bill and this account page.

Right now my third year keeps on ticking. I have no idea why. :whatdidid

20. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    My third year ticked for just under 3 months. I got a letter in January stating that it was going to be turned off soon because the promo period was over, that it would happen automatically, and that I had to call only if I wanted to KEEP Cinemax past some date in February.

Then, after that date, I got another letter from Dish stating that Cinemax had been removed from my account and if I wanted to add it back, then I could call them to add it back.

Cinemax continued to work.

My February 26th statement has a message explaining that the Penny Deal had ended and that Cinemax had been removed from my account -- and to contact them if I wanted to put it back. Interestingly, my February 26th statement also has a charge of ONE PENNY for a year of the Cinemax deal!

My March 26th statement is normal and shows no charges nor any messages related.

My April 26th statement, which I just looked at today, has a charge for $12.99 for Cinemax.

I contacted Dish via the online chat today and told them. They immediately stated that this was supposed to happen and I had to cancel if I didn't want to keep it after the promo. I told them that I had two letters and a statement that says the opposite and they didn't believe me. After arguing about it for a while, I told them to pull up my February 26th statement and tell me what the message says on the first page. It took them FOREVER to finally pull that up for some reason -- but then they finally agreed that it was supposed to be removed, but wasn't.

They then removed it and said that they'd "waive the normal $5 fee for removing a movie package." I reminded them that they were supposed to auto-remove it, of course, so there wouldn't have been any $5 fee if they had done it properly.

In any case, for those of you were it continues past the 2 year period and past the time that they told you it was going to be removed -- I'd keep watching your bills. Because they appear to be waiting two months past and then charging for Cinemax anyhow... For some, at least.

- John...