1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cinemoi gone

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by damondlt, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1 of 41
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Looks like channel 259 Cinemoi is gone. Oh well :blink:

Sent from my H866C using DBSTalk mobile app

2. Jul 1, 2013 #2 of 41
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yup, it's gone. Wasn't a bad channel, just not in HD.

3. Jul 1, 2013 #3 of 41
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Interesting as their website still touts directv.

4. Jul 1, 2013 #4 of 41
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    It does not exist in HD, and based on their web site, DirecTV is the only national carrier. If DirecTV dropped it, does it still exist?

Cinemoi originally existed to provide French language movies to an English speaking audience. They abandoned that format quickly, but now that it is just another movie channel, how can it compete with other movie channels that are in HD?

5. Jul 1, 2013 #5 of 41
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I wonder what channel will replace it
    HD or SD?
    Sent from my SPH-D710 using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Jul 1, 2013 #6 of 41
    mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    Contract dispute per http://www.cinemoius.com/

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1372705214.533545.jpg

7. Jul 1, 2013 #7 of 41
    fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    That flashing message was not on the Cinemoi web site when I visited it earlier today. I cannot believe they would have a contract dispute so quickly. It has only been on DirecTV since September 17, 2012, and as far as I can tell, it was only available on DirecTV. One would expect that the initial carriage agreement would have lasted at least a year.

Cinemoi is not a channel whose lack of carrage would cause me to consider dropping DirecTV.

8. Jul 1, 2013 #8 of 41
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I used the Contact Us button on their website and told them if they want to show quality films that they advertise that you must transmit in HD.
    In their FAQs there is a question about HD and they say they hope to do it in the future.

9. Jul 1, 2013 #9 of 41
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    They need to adjust the cycle time of the flash to stay visible a little longer between disappearances.

I'm by no means a speed reader and it took me about five cycles just to read the entire message once :)

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They should have posted the toll free number to all instead of the one that costs you to call.

11. moob

moob Legend

Nov 19, 2008
    My initial thought before coming here was that D* was freeing up the channel number for FXX. o_O

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......I don't anticipate DirecTV getting a avalanche of calls with threats of subscription cancelation over the loss of Cinemoi.

13. Honeycombe

Honeycombe New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Dallas TX
    I only recently discovered Cinemoi, maybe because I watch a "Favorites" list. Directv must not have added it to my favorites list (which is what it does when a new channel appears, usu.). Anyway, I was about to cancel Directv and try just streaming with Roku and using a digital tv antenna for local channels. But when I discovered Cinemoi, that put my plans on hold; I liked it that much. Unusual movies sometimes that I don't see anywhere else. Some high fashion shows. Cannes Film Festival shows. Then POOF! It's gone, with no warning. Back to considering the Roku/digital antenna option.

1 person likes this.
  14. JohnTConover

JohnTConover New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    NJ
    In September when Cinemoi first launched on DirecTV, Cinemoi paid DirecTV for airtime. Cinemoi then tried to get carriage fees from DirecTV once the channel was off the ground. DirecTV and Cinemoi disagree on this and is now off the air for now. Hopefully in the future they A) work out an agreement to keep the channel, and B- Cinemoi remains commercial-free & uncensored (at least no commercials within the movie). They airedt some movies I would have never thought of watching before as well as classic, and newer movies.

Cinemoi & TCM were/are the only real movie channels DirecTV had in their respective tiers of programming. IFC used to be but once they started adding inter-film commercials, and six-hour Malcolm in the Middle blocks, I cannot count them anymore.
    So, I don't know about you guys but I hope it comes back onto DirecTV. I already contacted DirecTV to get an agreement done. If any of you support a channel like this, please also contact DirecTV.

PS-I don't work for Cinemoi. (If I did, I'd be pretty pissed considering I wouldn't be cashing a paycheck.)

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It's a rather big ploy- to pay then to demand payment!

I'd forgotten about it, but if it comes back in HD, there's some interesting viewing.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    This.

Cinemoi has an even greater overinflated sense of its importance than the Houston Astros. Alienate the only carrier they have. Good job.

17. alc965

alc965 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Directv tweeted this last night about Cinemoi:
    Cinemoi, a network that paid for programming air time has been removed for non-payment. It is undetermined if Cinemoi will return.

18. JohnTConover

JohnTConover New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    NJ
    unless they knew the starting situation was only temporary. I doubt they could pay DriecTV forever.

19. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    The religious channels and shopping channels do.

20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The religious and other non-commercial P/I channels only pay a transport fee and depending on the channel they also have donations coming in to help cover it. The infomercial and shopping channels are already getting money from the advertisers buying time and they either pay DirecTV directly or share in the income via commission on sales.

Cinemoi is really unique as in not only were they paying for their slot they were also commercial free. However it was a huge gamble to start demanding payment before they had any other distribution deal to fall back on.

RFD-TV is the only other case I can think of, but they had carriage from multiple rural cable providers and Dish when they made the transistion from P/I to an ad supported service.