1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cirque du Soleil performer dead after fall in Ka performance

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Jun 30, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    I always think about perfomers having accidents.When I was 13 I watched Karl Wallenda walk across the top of Veterens Stadium in Philadelphia. Yes, it was amazing, but I couldn't help thinking the worst. I was never big on the Circus stuff or daredevil stunts. I finally was talked into going to "La Nouba" here in Orlando last week. It was terrific. And I was pleased how many I could tell were wearing some kind of safety device. Such a tragedy in Vegas this weekend.

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From what I have seen on this story, she was attached to some kind of safety device which appears to have malfunctioned in some form.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I generally don't go much for the daredevil stuff either, though I did watch some of the Nik Wallenda stuff on Discovery. I wasn't going to watch the Grand Canyon walk itself, was more interested in the setup. On the first show they actually showed Karl fall to his death, and recreated what happened (faulty rigging).

Cirque is definitely different. I'm not sure they really would be considered "daredevils" as they generally have more protections, they are true artists. I think it says a lot that this was the first on stage death of a Cirque performer in their 30 year history. Of course there have been injuries, including one performer that fell in a different Vegas preview show last week and suffered a mild concussion.

I really need to stop looking at comments on news stories. People are making worse and worse comments as time goes by...