1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Classic Arts Showcase

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mitchflorida, Jul 14, 2012.

1. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Classic Arts Showcase is a free cable television program designed to bring the classic arts experience to the largest audience possible by providing video clips of the arts in hopes that we may tempt you, the viewer, to go out and feast from the buffet of arts available in your community.

It is carried by Dish for several years and costs the provider absolutely nothing. it is SD so very little bandwidth used. It features classical, ballet, theartre , musical, jazz, symphonies etc.

Why doesn't DTV they carry it? it is for free and there is plenty of bandwidth for SD. Or do they want to be paid to carry it?

http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/index.html

2. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    I watch it all the time on my PBS affiliate (channel 28 here in SoCal). Check the listings for your local PBS affiliate; they might/probably have it.

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    There is not plenty of bandwidth for SD on directv right now.

4. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Note that Channel 28 is no longer PBS -- they're now an independent noncommercial station. That's obviously part of the reason they carry Classic Arts Showcase -- they have some time to fill on the schedule.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    There are PLENTY gaps on MANY transponders to run the 'miserable' bandwidth [1 Mbps] of the nice channel (I've watched it on ANALOG C-Band sat transponder ). BTW, Comcast have it here.

6. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Sometimes I wonder why they carry some free Public Affairs channels and not others. There are about 10 of them that I never watch at all (BYU or World Harvest or Link).

Do they have to be paid to run these? Or is it just a matter of calling them up and requesting it?

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Definitely it's payable service: the bandwidth has own cost for content providers. Satellites, Earth stations, electricity, equipment, operators, technicians/engineers on shifts ... It's DTV expenses and in case of such channels when customers getting it for free, someone should cover the budget.
    Perhaps our tax money ?

8. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Somehow Dish Network shoulders the "cost" whatever it costs to use spare SD bandwidth. My question was whether the others are paying for theirs or not. For instance the Nasa Channel or Free Speech TV.

9. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    I cant watch SD anymore....between HD & bluray just cant do it.

10. mgroups

mgroups AllStar

Apr 27, 2007
    CAS is broadcast 24/7 on OTA Channel 32-4 in the SF Bay Area. It appears in the guide as "SIGN OFF"

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    In Bay Area CAS showing on the channels 32-01 KMTP-DT in 7:30-8:00pm slot . It has same content on WTV 32-04, but different EPG line: KMTP Wedding Channel(?).

12. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    In Tulsa, OK, KRSC 35.2 carries Classic Arts Showcase. DirecTV carries 35.2