1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Clear Cache

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Mar 13, 2014.

1. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    I seem to recall something posted some time ago about a double reboot to clear the cache.

Is this correct?

If so, what is cached that the second reboot removes and rebuilds?

Also, exactly when should the second reboot happen after the initial reboot?

2. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You may be recalling rebooting twice within an hour, to rebuild the GUIDE cache.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    actually is rebooting twice in 30 minutes

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Simplest way to do it. Hit the rbr button on a genie. As soon as you have a live tv picture again hit the rbr button again.

5. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I think if you re-run sat set setup, that flushes the catch as well. If so, quicker than 2 reboots.

EDITED TO ADD: Just tried it on my HR24, and re-running sat set-up did not flush the existing data. I thought I saw it do that it in the past, so I'm either mistaken, or the software's changed since then.

6. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    a belated thanks to all for the info.

The CC issue is a nightmare and somehow related to this.

When someone in the family needs CC, it has taken far too many hours trying to straighten out.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you want to reset from your recliner,
    Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver
    When programming returns, repeat the previous steps.

8. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    Unfortunately I just need to reboot the HR34 37 times over 18 hours to get the CC back.

This is really getting beyond annoying......

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I just played around with CC on my HR24 and sometimes it appears to work and then not. When I change to another channel it works like I think it should.
    Instead of resetting the receiver, try going into the Menu and turn it to OFF and then turn it back ON after a couple of minutes.
    Of course you have probably already tried that.

I do not think the double reset has anything to do with the CC. The Guide data is dumped and all reloaded when you do a double reset.
    For CC I think that 1 reset is sufficient.

10. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2006
    To clear non-volatile cache, follow this procedure:

Go to channel 1, Directv Intro
    Wait a minute or two, for all overlays and popups to clear off the screen
    From the remote, enter the buttons in sequence: Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green

On the bottom left of the screen, you will see the text message that non-volatile memory has been cleared. Pay attention or you will miss it.

I have no idea if this will resolve your CC problem; but I dearly hope it helps. It cannot hurt. This is a trick I do periodically because it appears to make the system response much faster.