1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleveland/youngstown locals

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BobFly, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobFly

BobFly AllStar/Supporter

Mar 10, 2003
    Why is it on TWC i recieve both youngstown & cleveland local channels but on dishnetwork i cant subscribe to cleveland locals...makes no sense!

2. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    It makes no sense because you are comparing apples and oranges:

Cable is required, by law to provide you with local channels. This also will include local channels that are from another market area, but watched in your market.

DirecTV and Dish Network are not required to serve anyone. If they decide to serve a market, they must also add some stations that are deemed to serve the local market, whether DirecTV or Dish Network wants to, or not.

However, since DirecTV and Dish Network do not have to serve your market with your locals, why should they be able to give you another market's locals? This would harm many local broadcasters.

Wait until most of the locals are up and running on DirecTV and Dish Network. The DBS companies need to have the law that allows local channels on satellite revisited next year, since there are parts of it that expire on the last day of the year.

3. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Personally, I think that the "significantly viewed" concept that cable is allowed to operate under should be revoked if satellite is not allowed to do the same. In regards to locals, cable should not be allowed to have two of NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX, WB, and UPN unless there is more than one WITHIN the DMA. The only reason cable should rebroadcast an out-of-DMA station is if the DMA doesn't have any given network affiliate at all. I wonder how many cableites would get p***ed off (especially the elderly who vote and mostly have regular cable for simplicity of use) and b***h at their congresspeople.

Here is an example of how this hurts satellite. My mom lives in Coffeeville, MS and has D*. She just got the Columbus-Tupelo locals. She got rid of Galaxy Cable, due to hideous picture quality issues and puny 38 channel lineup for $39. She now loves her D*. Her sister said she would stick with cable in order to get Memphis stations (which are definitely better), as would many of the elderly in the town. If D* were allowed to add WREG (CBS) and WMC (NBC) from Memphis (same spotbeam) upon request, Galaxy Cable would probably have to shutdown within the year, because no one would put up with the crap.

With cable, the argument of exclusivity for a particular network affiliate is currently tossed out the window. The local affiliates already suffer now. A better way to look at it is that if such a move were allowed by satellite, it would not only level the playing field, but FORCE those local affiliates to offer better content than their neighbors to keep viewership. The consumer wins by getting better affiliates overall.

Here's how I would rewrite the locals rules for satellite:

Each company should be able to use any Nielsen map from any year after 1998 to determine whether someone qualifies for locals. If, on any of those maps, the zip in question ever fell in a DMA where locals are offered, the user gets them activated. If the zip has switched between two markets and both offer locals, the user chooses which set of primary locals they want. In any case, the user MUST take all the primary market DMA channels first.

The user could then opt (say for an additional $3/mth or so), to add up to 12 channels from DMA's that border the primary DMA if the user is within the range of spots of those DMAs. For example, I am in the Jackson, MS DMA. We are bordered by the Greenwood-Greenville, MS DMA, the Columbus-Tupelo, MS DMA, Meridian, MS DMA, Laurel-Hattiesburg DMA, New Orleans, LA DMA, Baton Rouge, LA DMA, Alexandria, LA DMA, and the Monroe, LA DMA. If all those markets were active, I would be able to call my provider and say that I wanted WWL from New Orleans, WABG from Greenwood, WTVA from Tupelo, etc. To avoid problems with the local channel numbering, the numbers would be the standard 3 digit(D*) or 4 digit(E*) channel number and no mapping below 100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.