1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed Captioning differences HR34 vs C31

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Capmeister, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Attached are two pictures of the same scene, one on my HR34, and one on my C31, being served from the HR34. Clearly captioning is being placed differently on the C31, if not completely decoded by the C31.

The problem is not a major one, but the C31 is skewing captions a bit left and a bit low.

It doesn't make captions unreadable, but I will not that the way captioning is on the HR34 has better placement for reading scrolls and information on many news channels, and the C31 isn't quite as good in that respect.

If the C31 could be made to place captions in the same locations as the HR34 does, this would be ideal.

The pictures are from pop-up captions, but scroll-up captions have the same "issue." I put issue in quotes because while this is a difference that I would hope should be corrected at some point, it is NOT keeping captions from being easily understood or a program from being watched.

Attached Files:

2. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Just checked the iPad app for viewing live tv and the captioning on it is golden. Well placed, perhaps better than the HR34 itself, though I have not compared.

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    This might be a clue; maybe not. If you look at the two pix, the woman's head is cut off at a different place in each (I am assuming it is the same frame or approximately the same frame). Are you watching in a different aspect ratio on one TV compared to the other TV?

Even if this is the case, one would not immediately assume that this is the whole story, as the captions are clearly placed differently in relation to the picture. But that may be normal. Part of the metadata in digital 708-flavor captions is positioning; IOW, each line has an X-Y coordinate indicating placement on the screen, which is how caps can be placed near the top to get out of the way of credits at the start of a program.

Since this is baked in to the metadata sent with the captioning, both the HR and the c-31 are getting the same instructions. But these instructions can be interpreted differently if the aspect ratio or zoom function at the local STB is different, with the entire goal being optimum placement for a particular screen resolution. IOW, the instructions vary depending upon the way the TV set or output rez is configured.

Just a guess, but that's my best guess. Of course the metadata and placement stuff is not based on guesswork, but on how 708 actually works.

4. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Same aspect ratio but different TVs and angles from which I too the pic, but the other tv I have on a c31 does it too, so three TVs and both c31 connections skew captions to the left and down.

Both ratios are 16:9 but 720p on one and 1080i on the other.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It appears that they are slightly different frames looking at her mouth. As far as it being a zoom/crop thing I don't think that is it, as the BBC America watermark appears to be placed similarly between the two shots.

I am wondering though if the resolution difference could be the cause though. I would try setting all three to 1080i and seeing if that moves the closed captioning data.

6. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Did that. It does not. The results are the same. And yes, they're somewhat different frames, but the CC doesn't change frames once placed with pop-on captions.