1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed captioning one-button toggle

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by John in Georgia, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    In the past, I've been "semi"-sympathetic to the plight of others lamenting the numerous button pushes required to initiate (or eliminate) on-screen captioning. However, after trying to watch "Big Brother 8 After Dark" on Showtime-2 each day, and not being able to understand a lot of the whispered dialog, I too have become frustrated with the inability to instantaneously turn on captioning on my HR20-700. It seems to take many button-pushes and scrolls to navigate to the setting.

I've had devices in the past (TV's, DVR's or VCR's -- not sure which) that would turn on captioning when you muted the television. I always found this feature useful for telephone calls that interrupted my viewing.

So .... I for one will be looking for the "wishlist" polls to voice my NEW opinion in this regard. I am "fully"-sympathetic now to those who actually NEED a one-button toggle for captioning.

2. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
  3. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    Done!

Thanks, Craig

4. Milominderbinder2

Oct 8, 2006
    For those wondering about this, we have had dozens of threads begging for a simple way to use Closed Captioning.

We actually designed a interface that turns every function into a shortcut.

Instead of 23 steps for CC, it is 3. But all the other functions are just as fast. Check it out:

A Dramatically Faster User Interface

CC Quick Toggle: What are your ideas?

How would you like to be able to use Closed Captioning?

REVISED: BEST WAY TO TURN CC's ON/OFF

HR20 Closed Captioning -- how to make it better

We even had a competition:

Can You Find the Fewest Steps to Turn Closed Captioning on?

- Craig

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I still stand by the statement that using the yellow button for CC would be the best route.

It's already designated for audio options. So thats already set.

Just have it cycle through the available audio channels
    English DD
    English DD W/CC
    Spanish DD
    Spanish DD W/CC
    Klingon DD
    Klingon DD W/CC
    etc

Very, very simple to implement and use. IMHO of course. :grin:

6. Milominderbinder2

Oct 8, 2006
    Anything shorter than 23 steps would be good.

I am sure that DIRECTV did not mean to make the key feature for the hearing impared the hardest feature to use.

- Craig

7. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I'm with you. Last night I spent the better part of an hour programming my MX500 remote to handle a macro for turning CC on and off. I really had to play with delays, the menu system seems variably time responsive, allowing the macro sometimes to dump you in weird places. Still, I got it down to a one button push, working 98% of the time. Best I could do.

8. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    After you use CC once, you can use the BACK button to go back to the CC menu. After you do that it is only a few button presses to toggle CC on and off.

-mk

ps. the Mute button won't work because that controls the TV volume and has nothing to do with the HR20. And besides I would still like to hear the dialog with the captions.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    John, more power to you, my brother. My wife has an easy solution for CC toggle - she hands the remote to me. She won't do it.

If you are connected via component and your TV will turn on CC automatically when muted, you can use the TV's mute button as 1-button CC. Unfortunately it doesn't work if you're connected with HDMI.

10. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    The real question is, why can't I use the closed caption capability built into my TV when I'm viewing programming from an HR20. My DirecTV Tivos (R10s) pass the closed captioning through to the TV so all I have to do is hit the caption button for my TV. Why don't the HR20s do this?

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Simply because you are not using your tv's tuner and it is out of the loop in processing the data being broadcast. The Hr is deciphering the data and giving the display a video and audio signal to present.

12. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am not hearing impaired, nor do I know anyone who is, save the old farts I work with. Additionally, I do not, nor ever want to, use a CC service. As a matter of fact I have boycotted the Mel Gibson and Clint Eastwood movies that insist on artistic recreation and will not use English in them, that makes you read a movie instead of watching and enjoying it.

Having said that, I can express my deepest regrets for those who cannot enjoy that which I covet so much. I wish this choice to the very front of the wish list and hope this becomes priority one for the D* team to resolve in any way suggested through the multiple threads of suggestions to make it easier for the hearing impaired.

If the new poll is started it would be 1 button CC,VOD, DLB. But we all know that alll things are being worked on by different teams.

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I thought about this option. I suggest try this on channel 104. :) (Ok, so they don't have the CC on those channels yet.)

Cheers,
    Tom

14. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    Don't you guys think it's crazy that this particular feature has been discussed at length since the introduction of the HR20 and it's one of the few things they have done absolutely nothing about? It's not like we are asking for a new feature or something outrageous. If I can press the blue button to bring up the mini-guide (which, out of curiosity, how many people really use?), it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility to be able to press green for cc.:confused: :confused:

15. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    No, I think politically and image wise this would be the biggest priority. But if you track the suggestion posts, you can see this is not just as simple as activating the cc button on the remote. This is a design rework and possibly a new remote code relating to a particular function button.

16. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I think some TVs have this capability. Mine will only work thru RCA inputs. Component and HDMI inputs wont display captions on my TV.

-mk

17. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    This would be good for watching shows on BBC-America. Man, I sure wish those Brits would speak frickin' English!

18. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    This is a ...................nevermind. If you want to ignore my previous post. Then that is your right.

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Bottom line is, the HR20 does not pass CC information through HDMI. There has been much discussion about this.

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    My .02:

OPTION 1: YELLOW button: 1st press "CC ON", second press "SAP" (if present, otherwise "CC OFF"), third press "SAP CC" (if present, otherwise "CC OFF").

State of YELLOW button should expire after a few seconds, so that if already "on", first press = "CC OFF".

OPTION 2: QUICK MENU: "CC ON". If already "on", QUICK MENU: "CC OFF".

/steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.