1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed Captioning Thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by tfederov, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 18
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Thought it would be easier to post them here than have them get lost in another thread. Mods, if you want this under 0x168 discussion I understand.

Cappy, is this what you were looking for?

MPEG-4 Local Channel

[​IMG]

MPEG-2 HD Channel

[​IMG]

MPEG-2 SD Channel (I can't believe the Tigers are tied with the Devil Rays! :eek: )

[​IMG]

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 18
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    What I checked was excellent on SD (local FOX, BBCA & A&E) and mpeg-2 HD channels (HBO, Showtime).

I checked my mpeg-4 locals and that's a mixed bag. During "The Insider" (CBS) the captioning was lagging and during "Access Hollywood" (NBC) it was garbled.

However, once national programming began, CBS was excellent for "How I met your Mother", while NBC was still garbled. I tried to check captioning for NBC OTA, but they weren't broadcasting captioning on the HD signal.

I was quite impressed with the speed and accuracy I saw.

What I saw was mostly in the lower left.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 18
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I recorded the same show on both an HR20 and my HR21. The closed captioning looked identical on both.

Cap, if you like what you see on the HR20 then you'll be pleased with the HR21.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 18
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I went and checked the HR20 and found similar results for Prime Time shows. The only issue was with my local NBC station and that has to be a station issue.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #5 of 18
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Me no likee. :D At least not completely.

The pics Tony posted are good, and examples of scroll up captions, which are really good on the HR20 and H21. But POP-UP or POP-ON captions are not placed right yet on the HR20... they're too far left, so that what should be left is far left, what should be centered is left, and what should be right is centered.

What I want to see is like the video I posted at http://www.snarkbait.com/popon.wmv

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 18
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Maybe not--what was the issue? On two OTA stations, the captioning is DELAYED on my HR20, but NOT on my HR10. There's something the HR20 doesn't read quite right in SOME CC streams.

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 18
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    On the DTV feed, the mpeg-4 signal for WDSU (NBC) had garbled CC feeds on both the HR21 & HR20 (need to check the H20, but I suspect it's the same). WDSU just recently got an OTA signal back up while rebuilding their tower that was damaged in Katrina. The OTA signal that I tested using my TV's tuner had no CC, that's why I'm guessing it's a station issue - if they're transmitting it, it isn't being done right. But then again, it could be on DTV's end, it was just a guess on my part.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 18
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Ah, okay. Not the issue I was thinking of (though just as bad on MPEG4 issue).

9. Aug 8, 2007 #9 of 18
    tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Okay Capmeister, I've posted the video to your site. Can't wait to read your thoughts on how you think the CC works.

For everyone else, I didn't have a place to post the video so I sent it directly to him. Maybe Capmeister, you could post a link here?

10. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I have tons of space on my site. Email it to me and I'll upload it and send you the link if you want.

11. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Can you PM me your address?

12. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Tony - I PM'd you.

13. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Sure, the file is here: http://www.snarkbait.com/tony/

It shows, as I PMed you, basically what I've seen on the HR20 and the H21. Captions are WAY too far left. Notice how Ben Grimm says something but the text is under Mr. Fantastic. It should be under Ben Grimm.

This really has to be seen to.

14. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Not necessary--I gave Tony 100MB of FTP space on my server, and he can access it at http://www.snarkbait.com/tony/

:)

15. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Wasn't sure if you got it. Thanks for the help as well LameLefty.

16. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Cool - glad you got it figured out. I'm only using 248 megs of my 5 gigabyte site limit and my bandwidth is like 1% of my max so I was glad to offer even if you didn't need it. :)

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    So the captioning should actually be more like a comic book where what the character says is displayed above them in a bubble pointing to them? Wow, captioning has changed a lot since I last paid attention. Last time I used CC, dated a hearing impaired woman, the captions had the name of the person who was speaking.

I learned something new today, guess it's time to head to bed.

18. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, it's not like comics per se, and sometimes there ARE names on the screen, but now they try to do it with placement. It actually has more to do with how much a show is willing to pay for captioning. Survivor, for instance, is cheap and won't pay for pop-on captioning. They use scroll up, added by computer rather than person--almost like live captions, and it's annoying. And they don't use who is speaking. :(

This site explains the offline captioning well, with demonstrations: http://www.captionmax.com/offline_captioning.php

This is the realtime one, not as good, but workable:
    http://www.captionmax.com/realtime_captioning.php

The HR20/H21/HR21 are pushing things too far left. As if the captioning module doesn't get that it has a widescreen to play with (although thinking that was the issue I've tried it in 4:3 mode and it's still too far left).

Also, certain channels for me--OTA only--are delayed on my HR20 but NOT on my HR10. That has to be fixed as well. Obviously that doesn't apply to the H21 and HR21--they have no OTA.

So, to sum up, these are the last 3 closed captioning items:

1. placement too far left in popup captions
    2. CC delay on certain (but not all) OTA stations
    3. MPEG4 CC garbling in some situations

Once these are fixed, CC issues are put to bed. I REALLY want #2 fixed before September, or my HR20 is going back out of my living room. And I don't want that, as I heart it. :(