1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed captions controlled by tv instead of 612?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by douga, Jun 30, 2008.

1. douga

douga Cool Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Hello:

This is my first post, so...hope this is appropriate.

When I had a 625, it seemed as if the closed captioning could be controlled by the TV (the TV remote, anyway). With the 612, it seems as if only the 612 can control closed captioning.

Is there anyway to "pass through" tv commands so that the tv remote controls closed captioning. Failing that, is there a shortcut key for closed captioning so that I don't have to go through the menu to get captions?

Thanks for your advice.

Doug

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    This is actually a HD delivery issue and from what I know all HD DVRs have to handle CC internally. With the SD, the CC was passed through on the signal and the TV decoded it. This is no longer the case with HD... Well atleast not now.

As far as I know.. there is no way to do this.

3. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    I stand to be corrected but I don't think it's an HD or DVR issue. Has to do with how your TV is hooked to your Sat Reciver or other means of program delivery. If the TV is fed by composite or rf normally the captioning is passed through and is controlled by the tv. If fed by HDMI or component (not sure about the component) it controlled by the sat receiver, DVD player etc. Personally I like the latter as it allows you to change the text style, background color, translucent/transparent/solid etc. White lettering on a black translucent background looks nice to me and allows you to see whats behind the captioning.

4. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    That's because composite and RF are SD only feeds. They will not carry HD and therefore what Ron suggested still holds.

5. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    Well, just try watching an HD program from an HD receiver on as SD tv once with the captions on the tv turned off. :) The point I was trying to get across is that on an SD tv (composite/rf) or even an HD TV if connected via composite/rf is that the tv controls the captioning. The HD receiver adds the captioning to the composite/rf feed whether the HD recievers captioning is on or off.

This whole HD/SD HDMI vs composite deal when talking about captioning reminds me of all the confusion with picture formatting and screen ratios.

6. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Yep.. GravelChan.. Good points.. I was mainly talking about the delivery of it through the HD outputs (Component/HDMI) as ChuckA eluded to. Thanks for filling in the details guys.

7. douga

douga Cool Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks for all the clarification.

My second question was: is there a shortcut key to turn CC on and off on the 612?

I'm assuming the answer is no, simply because no one brought it up.

Thanks.

Doug

8. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    I don't have a 612, but this is a frequent complaint of the 622/722. On those receivers there is no short cut way to turn CC on/off, so I only assume that is the same case with the 612.

9. Mokanic

Mokanic AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    Accessing CC on the 612 is just as cumbersome as it is on the 622.

Menu-8-7-1-Left-ON or OFF/Right/Done/View Live TV

David